GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silverado is making a knocking noise

Hey my 1990 c1500 5.7l just started making a knocking noise when its idling. I changed the oil about a thousand miles ago and i dont knock what it would be. any ideas?

Have you checked the oil level?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

the knock is from all cylinders or just one ?

the oil pressure/flow if very low will cause the pistons to knock. the main bearings maybe be worn causing a low oil pressure that is the cause.

another item would be using a cheap oil filter like fram. these have brittle paper filtration some have had filter failure that caused engine damage.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the knock is from all cylinders or just one ?

the oil pressure/flow if very low will cause the pistons to knock. the main bearings maybe be worn causing a low oil pressure that is the cause.

another item would be using a cheap oil filter like fram. these have brittle paper filtration some have had filter failure that caused engine damage.
    x2 on the filter. Don't use cheap fram crap. Only AC delco

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I had something similar happen on my sons truck... Oil filter was plugging causing low oil pressure. Get a quality filter such as k&n, mobile one etc... They have a safety bypass should it plug.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

ok so i changed the oil. my old oil filter was a k&n. after i changed the oil, it still knocked. it sounds like just one cylinder but idk what it would be. the oil pressure is fine.

Legend

the piston could have some carbon causing the knock. put 5 Oz of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase and hopefully the sticking piston will free up...

with old engines if going too long on oil changes or not changing the oil when hot the sludge can move around after new oil is installed.

good luck ..
    Last edited by j cat; 01-02-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Thumbs up

Thank you. do you know anything about seafoam in the carb?

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond28 View Post
    Thank you. do you know anything about seafoam in the carb?

I have used Sea Foam in the gas tank and in the vaccum tube on my truck and it works great. I have never tried Sea Foam in the oil, but I understand it can be done. You need to keep in mind that using sea foam in your oil basically means you are going to do an oil change after running the engine a really short time cause you don't want to leave it in the oil too long.

Before trying that, make sure you have the correct instructions or you could mess then engine up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast