GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Options for Winter Driving in Mountains

Just purchased my 2012 Chev Silverado 3500 last June. It is a single rear axle 4X4, crew cab long bed. When reading the owner's manual, I noticed that GM does not recommend the use of tire chains on my tires (265/70-R18 Michelins). Current tires are M&S all season. I drive over the Cascade passes during the winter to visit family and even though I never used chains on my last truck (1998 Dodge 4X4), there is always a possibility of a conditional road closure in Oregon when they require either chains or traction tires even though you have a 4X4. So I am looking at my options. If chains cannot be used because of potential damage if they come loose, then is my only option purchasing winter traction tires? Don't like storing tires in my garage either. Looking for suggestions (if there are any) before I pour out over a $1000 for winter tires. Thanks.

Bob

studded snow tires are amazing. i will not go a winter without them anymore. however im ASSUMING there is no real reason not to use chains. ify ou say "if chains cannot be used because of potential damage if they come loose", well that oculd happen on ANY and ALL vehicle. just got to use common sence. plus chains are a great emergency option. add some weight to the back will also help of course.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

I suppose using your logic that as you say, any vehicle could suffer this damage. Guess GM is maybe being a little over cautious on chains? Suppose the money move would be to purchase chains and carry them like I did the old truck. If I did have to use them over the Cascades, I could still put them on and as long as they were installed correctly, should not be a problem. I believe the chains on my old truck installed so they were tight with chain tighteners. Don't see how they would come off. So unless I hear some other words of wisdom, think I will go with chains.

I think they may be trying to protect themselves and the consumer from damages and liabilties. If they said it was ok then someone would (its inevitable) drive down the highway at rediculous speeds or think they were indestructable and cause all kinds of problems. As long as there are no clearance issues chains will not cause a problem. Some of the road conditions and things we drive over are worse than chains. Common sense needs to be used. Traction for driving forward doesn't mean a person can turn or stop just as fast. Some don't understand this. If I were you I'd throw them in the back and use when needed. Just remember if you have a warrenty, get into an accident and they find out chains were involved it could cost you because it stated in the manual not to use them. Just something to think about.
    2003 Suburban 2500 LT, 6.0l Volant cai. 3.73 gear. Mobil 1 syn oil

They also make an alternative product to chains out of steel cables.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

check these out

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

I had them on a saturn and they were awesome, take about 10 sec to install (you have to install the mounting plate before your trip) and they worked like a charm no damage to the wheel or tire like you will sometimes get with chains and cables
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

In reading Oregon traffic laws concerning winter driving, it states that any vehicle over 10000 lbs GVWR must install chains when required by road conditions. Not even traction tires would suffice. Normal winter driving over the passes only states "must carry chains or traction tires". Now as some of you have said, chains can be link, cable or other traction device which attaches to the drive wheel tires. Which then brings me to the question when GM states that chains are not to be put on my tires because of warranty issues, does that mean all types of chains or just the chain link devices? Also, one other item on found on Oregon winter driving laws is 4X4 vehicles are only exempt from the chain requirements if they are less than 6500 lbs unloaded weight. Far as I can tell, my 3500 4X4 diesel crew cab weighs around 7500 lbs dry. What to do?

Legend

if you install 75 tires on 16in steel rims with a dia. of tire dia. of 31.5 in. you should be able to use the tire chains.

the 70 series are wider.

this would cost over $1,ooo.oo.

LT265 75 r16. 31.6 dia. load range E

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    They also make an alternative product to chains out of steel cables.
    Do you have a link?- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaele View Post
    check these outhttp://www.spikes-spiders.com/I had them on a saturn and they were awesome, take about 10 sec to install (you have to install the mounting plate before your trip) and they worked like a charm no damage to the wheel or tire like you will sometimes get with chains and cables
    Those look cool, but $650 seems a bit steep for something for this type of use, then again, it is cheaper than getting hit or sliding off the road and wrecking the truck.I want to know if there is a link to NC laws on chains, or studded tires. I am told they are illegal, but I am sure in the mountains they can't be illegal. It was explained that we aren't allowed to use them here because they tear the roads up, but we have just enough hills here in central NC that I have been stuck a few times and something for a little extra traction would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpiper97 View Post
    What to do?
    buy some chains and store them on the truck somewhere... surf your local craigslist and find some used studded snow or mud tires. and put some weight in the back. this is winter driving here... thats a bout all you can possibly do. all that and a little common sense goes a long way and a lot further in winter.

or buy some mattracks.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast