GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Knock,knock

Default Knock,knock

About 8 months ago upon first start up of the day of my '00 Silverado (5.3 V-8), or even after sitting a while having a chance to cool, I hear a light knocking sound coming from the engine. It goes away after the engine is warmed up and the fluids have had a decent chance to circulate, but the knock has gotten worse either. What do you reckon?

Have you checked your timing? Cuz if the timing is "Retarded" to far it can do that.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

It could be piston slap or a rod knock. My 02 would knock when it was really cold out until the motor warmed up. I would let it idle until the knock stopped and then drive, it did not get worse over time though

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

You described my truck's problem to a "T".

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought about the timing, but I will give it shot. Mr. Plikey described my truck's problem to a "T".

Timing on any GM truck engine after 1995 is computer controlled.You have the cold start knock and its just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought about the timing, but I will give it shot. Mr. Plikey described my truck's problem to a "T".[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dfhollums View Post
    About 8 months ago upon first start up of the day of my '00 Silverado (5.3 V-8), or even after sitting a while having a chance to cool, I hear a light knocking sound coming from the engine. It goes away after the engine is warmed up and the fluids have had a decent chance to circulate, but the knock has gotten worse either. What do you reckon?
    What oil filter do you use? I've had Chevy trucks for some time and unless I used a GM oil filter, I got a brief knock on start-up.

If you don't use an AC PF-48 I highly suggest you do as they cost about the same.