GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help With Front Shocks on 07 Suburban

My Sub (2007 1500 LT no auto-ride) has 114k miles. While working under it, the rear shocks appeared to be badly rusted, so given the mileage, I went ahead and ordered Bilsteins for both the front and rear. The rear shock replacement was straight-forward. However, when I go to the front, it doesn't look as simple. The shocks are inside the springs; are these struts? Can the shock be replaced without using a spring compressor? If so, can someone point me to a DYI for it?

Thanks.
    HC71

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

If you read the paper that comes with those shocks it will tell you you WILL need to compress the spring to remove the front shock.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    If you read the paper that comes with those shocks it will tell you you WILL need to compress the spring to remove the front shock.
    Are the front shocks that much different than what I would have in my 2000 silverado? I lifted the front end up and put it on jack stands to take the pressure off the shocks. I had a friend use vice grips to keep the nut on the top from spinning. I got under the truck and loosened the 2 bolts and the shock slid out from inside the spring. I did not have to compress any springs and the shock came out.I pushed the new shock through the middle of the spring, my friend bolted the top and I started putting the bolts in the bottom.I will suggest brand new bolts (they are cheap) at the auto parts store cause the original bolts will fail or break easy.