GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A/C & Heat issue. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a 2011 Silverado with dual climate control. The passenger side will not blow hot when the heat is on. It blows cold continuously whether the dual climate is activated or not. I'm not sure what could cause this. Maybe a blend door actuator or something? If I turn the engine off and back on it will sometimes blow hot after that. Even after that it sometimes will quit blowing hot and turn back to blowing cold. Any ideas? Im pretty sure its still under warranty. I will be contacting the dealership tomorrow to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by kloftin86 View Post
    Maybe a blend door actuator or something?
    Would be my guess as well
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Would be my guess as well
    I agree that it's probably a blend door actuator ... specifically the passenger side actuator. If the 2011's are like my 2004, then it's buried in the dash on the passenger side and is no fun to replace. (There's a write-up, here, that I posted after replacing it in my 2004...)

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    it's buried in the dash on the passenger side and is no fun to replace.
    Aren't warranties great.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I just hope mine is still under warranty. I drive my truck for work and it has almost 50k on it. I can't remember what extended warranty I purchased. I will call tomorrow and find out. Even if it is not under warranty I will still be getting it fixed. I do not have the patience for all that dash business haha. Anyone know what the dealership labor rate is if it isn't under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by kloftin86 View Post
    I just hope mine is still under warranty. I drive my truck for work and it has almost 50k on it. I can't remember what extended warranty I purchased. I will call tomorrow and find out. Even if it is not under warranty I will still be getting it fixed. I do not have the patience for all that dash business haha. Anyone know what the dealership labor rate is if it isn't under warranty?
    I was quoted 4.5 hours @$80/hr to do mine. The Stealership also wanted $263.00 for the actuator ... which I bought online for a bit over $100.00. Thieves.

By buying the actuator and doing it myself ... I saved a little over $525.00 once you figure up tax. That also equates to my time being worth ~$100.00/hr!.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I was quoted 4.5 hours @$80/hr to do mine. The Stealership also wanted $263.00 for the actuator ... which I bought online for a bit over $100.00. Thieves.

By buying the actuator and doing it myself ... I saved a little over $525.00 once you figure up tax. That also equates to my time being worth ~$100.00/hr!.
    Wow $80 an hour! The dealership that we take my wife's torrent to is charging $93 an hour. That is because they apparently work with golden tools or because they need to cover the cost of doing the job over again after they do it incorrectly the first 2 times. I found out this week that when they replaced the fuel pump and forgot to reconnect a connector, they charged GM warranty time again to replace a "bad connector".

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Wow $80 an hour! The dealership that we take my wife's torrent to is charging $93 an hour. That is because they apparently work with golden tools or because they need to cover the cost of doing the job over again after they do it incorrectly the first 2 times. I found out this week that when they replaced the fuel pump and forgot to reconnect a connector, they charged GM warranty time again to replace a "bad connector".
    It took me about 5 hours but I have all kinds of sound deadening stuff to remove before the dash cover can come off. (My vent connections are wrapped in the stuff and it's super adhesive ... and tough to remove when working in really tight spaces, even with my small hands.) What's sad, here, is that that time isn't far from what the stealership quotes ... meaning if I didn't have the sound deadening material issues I could likely have done it FASTER than the mechanic at the stealership (per quoted time) ... even though I was doing it for the first time and was just following a guide and figuring things out as I went.

I hate stealerships...

Good news! My truck is still under warranty. I have warranty until 75k miles bumper to bumper with a $100 deductible. It will be going to the shop after the holiday.

Excellent!