GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Fords on Fire

Default Fords on Fire

So has any one seen the article about how the new EcoBoost engine spontaneously combusts. These cars have already been recalled because of poor fuel line design and flawed coolant caps. For this third recall they don't even know what causes it, just the car catches fire while driving under normal conditions.

Here's the article:
    http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...230316605.html

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    For this third recall they don't even know what causes it, just the car catches fire while driving under normal conditions.
    I'll tell you what causes it -- it's a FORD!

im betting it has something to do with the turbo system
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Exactly! I can't believe that the same engine has had three life threatening recalls. I know its a Ford, but come on how incompetent are these engineers.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably, I bet they don't shield vital components like fuel lines from the heat of the turbo.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

shielding is usually a big 1. the thing is though, unlike real world mechanical engineers like me that focus more on improve current tech, they dont focus so much on cooling, air flow restrictions, long term use conditions, and proper timing. my 90 tbird sc from the factory had an inter-cooler that was to small and a normal timing program. due to such it would hit detonation at idle and wot. this was solved by making a dual inter-cooler system to flow 1200cfm and a new program for dual stage timing allowing up to 56degrees for wot. as stock the ic could only cool the air at idle to about 130f and wot 170ish. with the improvements and an ic fan it sits at 112f max in the summer heat and max flash of 130f for wot. now turbos produce far greater heat than blowers do so im sure thats the leading problem with the fires.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Granted the article writer probably isnt an experienced mechanic but the article leaves me believing while Ford has an idea of the problem they arent sure whats really causing it.
    Flash heat from the turbo would be my first guess along with an insufficiently insulated fuel line.
    I read an article months back that during testing they had an issue with backfires blowing out through the turbo, this issue was attributed to a faulty design in the intake/exhaust valves and leaky intake gaskets changing the air fuel ratio and igniting from residual heat and friction, Ford staked a lot on this platform and to take the steps they have means it could be a serious problem for them if it doesnt get fixed correctly, quickly, and give consumers confidence, I dont think they have another engine package waiting in the wings to re-engine these cars and provide the advertised performance/mileage and this package was supposed to be used for a few more models.

Fords terrible. 03/04 cobras come of the line over spinning the alternator. All they had to do was put a 3 inch pulley on it. They dumb
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Blog Entries

maybe its`not FIRST ON RACE DAY anymore, but FIRE ON RACE DAY !!!!!!!!
    Brian from Canada.
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart