GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GM vehicles with AFM

I am looking for a couple people with relatively unmodified GM trucks with AFM to test out a new product that will increase your gas mileage. Here is a link to the product www.rangetechnology.com. Basically what it does is put increase the amount of time spent in 4 cylinder mode.
    All that is needed is 5-10 people willing to test out the product and get the word out there by writing reviews/giving feedback. No cost to you.
    PM me if you are interested.

Adriyn-Minnesota
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT
    1998 Cadillac SLS (loaded) - sold
    1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 - sold

Ok, I might be interested; however, it sounds like it is a modification to the tables/parms within the PCM flash. Rumour, on the street, is that GM has the ability to detect a PCM re-flash and can void the warranty if detected. Can you comment?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I am not with the company, I am just one of you guys but I was in contact with one of the owners of the new product who asked me to find 5-10 other people to test the product and give feedback. I voiced your concern to him and he replied "We do not reflash. It is all done via messages on the CAN. 100% undetectable. Also - we have some dealers that are interested in the product."

Adriyn-Minnesota
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT
    1998 Cadillac SLS (loaded) - sold
    1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 - sold

And when should one expect to see a reply to the PM or to an e-mail sent to Adam as he requested in the other post on the "how to increase MPG" thread?

As I said above, I'm interested, but my main concern is around the time spent in 4 cylinder mode. There are some concerns that the block will heat unevenly while in 4 cylinder, prolonging that period may cause some problems. Just my 2 cents.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    As I said above, I'm interested, but my main concern is around the time spent in 4 cylinder mode. There are some concerns that the block will heat unevenly while in 4 cylinder, prolonging that period may cause some problems. Just my 2 cents.
    Given how the AFM cylinders are spread across the V8 engines, I suspect this is just a baseless fear. As long as the cylinders continue to recieve proper oiling, there shouldn't be an issue.

I might be interested

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Given how the AFM cylinders are spread across the V8 engines, I suspect this is just a baseless fear. As long as the cylinders continue to recieve proper oiling, there shouldn't be an issue.
    Actually, it appears to be a real problem. A lot of speculation that the uneven heating/cooling is contributing to the higher than normal oil consumption in these engines.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Actually, it appears to be a real problem. A lot of speculation that the uneven heating/cooling is contributing to the higher than normal oil consumption in these engines.
    Is it a real problem, or is it speculation? It can't be both. People have been complaining about "higher than normal" oil consumption on the LS series since it was introduced in 1997, in one form or another. So it's very hard to guess at what the problem may be for whoever you say is complaining about it. Do you have links to hard evidence about uneven heating, and/or oil consumption, or are you just passing on the hearsay?

I believe I said "it appears to be a problem". I'm not looking for an argument, you however appear (using your 1st post on this thread as reference) to have a little bit of an attitude with this product, or the supplier. GM's programming forces V4 back to V8 with very little load difference we need to ask why. Is it because load, even a small load, causes heat, and is GM worried about too much heat if the engine stays in V4.

Again, I'm not looking for a debate, my apologies to the OP.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast