GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Red face Wipers come on by themselves

Anyone heard of this before?

I'll be driving along and the wipers will come on. They'll only make one sweep, and that's it. There is no usual time this happens. Obviously an eleltrical problem, but how would you troubleshoot an intermittent failure?

My truck is still under warranty. How can I describe this to the mechanics without sounding crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by kongdc View Post

I'll be driving along and the wipers will come on. They'll only make one sweep, and that's it. There is no usual time this happens. Obviously an eleltrical problem, but how would you troubleshoot an intermittent failure?

My truck is still under warranty. How can I describe this to the mechanics without sounding crazy?
    What year/make/model is your truck? (You might want to add that to your signature in the User CP (see the top menu) so no one has to ask you that over and over.)

I've had a short in another vehicle that made the wipers come on by themseleves. It was a short in the wiper control arm and it was replaced under warranty.

Is this an issue with RainSense system? Does your truck have Rain Sense?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by kongdc View Post

Hey Kongdc,

Any updates with this problem? Just curious since you posted this over a year and a half ago...

And just so you know, I have the same problem with my wipers too. There's no pattern at all. They just go on for a 2-3 wipes and then stop. I'll definitely bring this up with my next trip to the dealer...

Hope to hear from you...

-BigWil
    2007 Avalanche LT3 4WD, Sunburst Orange Metallic, Ebony Interior, 8000k HID Kit (Thanks to Lighting623), K&N Drop-in Filter, 20" KMC XD 797 Spys with 275/55x20 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars, FM 50 SUV w/ staggered SS tips, Weathertech Floorliners (Fr & R), ProComp 1.5" Leveling Kit.

More mods to come later, much later. =)

FOR SALE:
    - 22" MB Motoring KL-77's with 305/40x22 Yokohama Parada Spec-X Tires
    - stock 20" Polished wheels

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by kuyawil69 View Post
    Hey Kongdc,

Any updates with this problem? Just curious since you posted this over a year and a half ago...

And just so you know, I have the same problem with my wipers too. There's no pattern at all. They just go on for a 2-3 wipes and then stop. I'll definitely bring this up with my next trip to the dealer...

Hope to hear from you...

-BigWil
    my 92 GMC does this from time to time.its got a short in the lever that controls the wipers/turn signals.i hardly drive it so it never bothers me but you could probably look around and find a new one or check lmctruck.com
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by redneckarmyMP View Post
    my 92 GMC does this from time to time.its got a short in the lever that controls the wipers/turn signals.i hardly drive it so it never bothers me but you could probably look around and find a new one or check lmctruck.com
    i had the same problem on my truck recently and i looked around for a replacement online and i kept seeing it go for around $75 give or take, so i called up the local junkyard and they put one on me for $30 so maybe that would be a good alternative source for anyone else having this problem.
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..