GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    The plug is rusted to the block the only way to remove it is to drill it out.
    I agree, it probably is seized into the head. That's the action of dissimilar metal when exposed to weather and heat.

Jarring it is the best way to remove. An impact gun sometimes works. Heating the head and not the plug will expand the hole. There is (to the best of my knowledge) nothing that is guarantied to work. When you do get it out, the threads will likely be damaged. But this can be repaired with a Healey coil (spelling my be off).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

This also requires getting the rest of the insulator out. Any way I would most likely have to repeat this process with every plug if they all are that bad.

That is a definite pain.... Really selling the truck for 2k would be easier.....
    Also I don't have a torch or impact and the coil is a temp solution....

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Yes, unfortunately that is possible.

Truly this whole incident has made me lose all emotional connection to the truck. I just don't care enough to do all that work. I've literally gotten to the point that I don't care about owning a car anymore I'm just tired of it. Walking is cheap...

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Mark is having a GTG at his shop tonight. If you are not too far stop by and talk to him..Tell everyone there I said Hi..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I have a school dance tonight. If I was free I most definitely would. I will email him tomorrow and explain and ask for an estimate and do same with my other shop. I will also deliver your message.
    Heres a list of how much I have spent on this truck minus gas. I payed 4500 for her.

shop $980
    shop $492.3
    shop $63.28
    shop $147.62
    autozone $76.09
    autozone $50.21
    autozone $32.95
    autozone $35.6
    autozone $85.09
    autozone $6.37
    autozone $10.62
    autozone $14.28
    autozone $36.13
    autozone $16.93
    autozone $106.99
    autozone $83.23
    amazon $12.13
    amazon $8.59
    shop $149.86
    amazon $22.97
    amazon $14.99
    amazon $19.83
    tool $29.74
    tool $21.26
    electrical $5.51
    tool $53.15
    tool $14.66
    tool $78.65
    tool $45.7
    tool $18.05
    tool $18.52
    tool $6.22
    tool $27.63
    shop $950
    $3735.15

- - - Updated - - -

Btw I'm sorry for sounding like an *** hole, just learning that my Truck couldn't be fixed killed my day and I had a great day! @RayVoy and @Pikey thank you so much for your input and help, I just wish your advice had played out as planned.

Sr. Engineer

Think I will buy stock in Auto Zone. Sorry to see you so discouraged about your ride. At the least, you are not emotionaly tied to it and a rational choice can be made though still tough. I think you will take a bath on it if you sell it as is. With the miles it has it may not warrrant a lot of money to be spent but an intake gasket and head gasket along with your time is alot better than cost of replacing the whole vehicle. Best case is the plug comes out and you're back together and on your way, worst case is you go to junk yard and get a used one and you're back on the road. I think cost of gaskets, oil, and antifreeze is worth a shot. I vote GO FOR IT.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

would you be able to just get a new head(s) for it, if you want to get two then that would drop the chance for it happening again. Look into seeing how much a head is.

- - - Updated - - -

also dont give up hope on her, how long have you had her? And if you think that price is bad guess what i get to do. i get to buy a new engine or an engine that doesnt have a lot of miles on it and if i were to get a GM Goodwrench for mine it would be 2,100 right of the bat. Then i need all the gaskets, a new water pump, prolly get a new distribitor, plugs, wires, i also need new oil cooler lines, plan on getting my factory grille and lower grille back, also plan on trying to find a new better LH front bumper bracket. I plan on getting new wheels in the future or maybe this winter. I also what to get 3" True dual exhaust with Thrush Welded Muffler, with a 12" long chrome tip. And for that i need to get another cat, or i might just get 2 new ones and replace the old one. All that when im done will prolly be about 3,500 maybe just for the engine and the grille, then another 1,500 for rims and exhaust. So i wouldnt get to mad about a broken spark plug, nothings as bad as you think it is.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

I've been driving her for a year but owned her a year and a half. New heads are expensive 350 per head thats not worth it. Also those are just the off brand ones not factory. I will be calling/ emailing shops asking for an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I've been driving her for a year but owned her a year and a half. New heads are expensive 350 per head thats not worth it. Also those are just the off brand ones not factory. I will be calling/ emailing shops asking for an estimate.
    PM me your Vin, I will see what my source at GM says about heads directly from GM. I can call there monday. Pulling those heads is not that hard. That would save you the labor. You could always try and have those heads rebuilt.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)