GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Angry broken spark plug

So I tried doing the simplest task ever in a car, replacing spark plugs. Well it didn't work even with using the proper tools I broke the first spark plug I tried to take out. The metal snapped not the insulator, so now I have part of a spark plug stuck in the cylinder of the truck and I can't drive it anywhere. I know the only real way to fix it is drive it to a shop, but I'm not sure I can drive it with out possible damage to the engine. My mom's friend is a certified GM tech I will be asking him to look at it next week. I'm so frigging pissed, how the **** does that happen!?!?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-22_09-11-52_118.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	46168

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I think you better get used to a Bike... j/k... Did you use a Flex head on your socket?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

No I did not because you're not supposed to because it causes a shear force. The only extension I used was a 2 inch one to get the ratchet away from the header a bit. Also it just didn't wanna come out. I will say I used a 5/8ths deep well not a spark plug socket because the plug socket couldn't get on it properly.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny that I can create a thread that in 24 hours can get about 160 views but only have 2 now 3 replies....

Sr. Engineer

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny that I can create a thread that in 24 hours can get about 160 views but only have 2 now 3 replies....[/QUOTE]

Well, what would you expect for something so rare? I have changed a lot of plugs on a lot of different engines but have never seen that one before. Stripped a few threads and broke my share of insulators but not that. My first thought was to use an easy out but then realized that what was left of the electrode and insulator would end up in the cylinder so that was out. I would not even attempt to start or drive it since parts of that plug may likely end up in the cylinder and cause much damage. I think you're going to have to pull the head to have that taken care of. What brand of plug is that? Best of luck with that!
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

They are AC Delcos! That's what's weird. I'm gonna have it looked at by a GM tech and see what he has to say about it. This makes me think that the plugs in the truck have been in there a very long time to be that stuck.

Does that truck have aluminum or steel heads? I have seen that happen a few times in aluminum heads, only once or twice in steel. I would have to say that I have mostly seen it happen on fords for some reason. (mostly the V-6 in the ranger and explorer) I wonder if they are the original plugs! Unfortunately, I have always had to pull the head to repair it. That is why I always put anti-seize on threads of new plugs when I replace them. Looks like you may be doing heads on your truck Colan! I would pull the head and take it to a shop and have them get the plug out. The machine shop near me charges around $120 a head for a rebuild, grind valves, new valve seats, new valve seals, etc.. You might as well have them do it to the one while it is off. Is it the passenger side? (the side that was making all the noise?)

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I don't remember but since its a cast iron block so they are probably steel. And yah it was on the pass side how'd you guess . I have the anti seize for the new plugs. $120 isn't bad for all that, but I know places by me will be a lot more. Its just a pain because right now money is tight and I only have a couple hundred in the bank. Just looking at the plug it looks really old. This spring I was going to do the intake gaskets guess that's happening sooner than planed.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    This spring I was going to do the intake gaskets guess that's happening sooner than planed.
    Whoa, hold on before writing the cheque. That plug broke because of the socket that was used (using a plug socket keeps the turning forces 90 degrees to the perpendicular of the plug). The good news, I think, is that there should be some plug body sticking out of the head (everything between the part that looks like a nut and the shoulder that crushes the gasket). See if you can find a broken stud socket that will slide over what is left hopefully grab the plug enough to loosen it.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I will try to get my hands on one of those. Btw I had tried to use the proper spark plug socket, but it was not long enough to actually get on the hex of the plug. I used a 6 point 5/8th deep well that I tested the fit on the new plugs.

I saw where you said you had problems with the plug wrench. There is a rubber insert, at the top of the plug socket, with a hole for the tip of the plug to slide into. sometimes, the hole gets filled with crap, maybe that's what's wrong with yours.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by