GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hmmm, how well do you think it works?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Hmmm, how well do you think it works?
    The commercial made it look like it was magic, IDK. I checked their site, found 2 products, one was a penetrating oil and the other was a corrosion retarder, I suspect the commercial I saw was the penetrating oil.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Looks sweet. May try that.... Still will get estimates just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

I brought Tahoe to the shop they are going to see what they can do. The head mechanic said he has removed tons of broken plugs, but some time they just don't budge so hes not guaranteeing anything. He also said he has every tool made for the task and tools that kinda just work for it. I told him I don't wanna spend over 300 for this initial try so that's about 3 hours of labor that he will spend trying. He also will replace the other plugs.

Spent $330 they replaced all the plugs and removed the bad one. All the other plugs came out with out a problem so all it well. She's running smoother, but her bad cat is still hindering her. Did learn I have a coolant leak from the radiator or a hose and its fairly significant, I will have to do a pressure test and inspect it my self. Radiators aren't much any way and in 90's trucks they are easy to remove. I will keep putting coolant in it as it leaks out until I can afford to fix.

I've heard of this happening on Fords. After reading this I will put PB blaster on any plugs I take out.

It is more of a ford thing, but it can happen to any car,truck or SUV. There's several lessons here:
    1. Use penetrating oil there is no such thing as to much. (PB Blaster, WD40)
    2. Proper sockets help a lot.
    3. Change your plugs on time or before to prevent problems.
    4. Murphy's Law....
    5. Choose a shop that wants to save you money and keeps you well informed.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Glad to hear you are back on the road... Enjoy your ride... Next???
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

If the leak is from a hose, it needs to be changed; if from a gasket, or from the radiator, there are lots of stop leak produces on the market. Most will stop the leak and the repair will last for a long time (I have even used them in hot water boilers with great success). Bardal has a liquid that's works well, and there is a powered product, I think from Prestone (but not sure) that works well.

If nothing else, it will get you a few months, or a year, and it is a lot cheaper, not to mention safer, than antifreeze.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345