GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

a bad ass tool with the way your pickup looks like.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post

1,000,000 Cruzes?? Nope.

In the US for 2011, GM sold 231K Cruzes, as of September 2012 GM had sold 180K Cruzes, that's far less than 1 million. Granted the Cruze sells pretty good, but nowhere near the numbers that the Silverado sells. Also, pickups are a lot more profitable than small cheap eco cars like the Cruze, Spark, Sonic, etc.
    Ok, I may have fudged my numbers I read the article about a year ago. I just remember it was a really amazing figure for a car that had just came out. Either way my point remains valid in the fact that ecos are important I know they are less profitable, obviously because they cost less, but they are what Americans want right now. Any who the Suburban is technically Chevy's most profitable vehicle it always has been for almost 78+ years.

I do feel this thread is getting a little touchy.... I'll just finish off what I have to say with I love all GM full size trucks and SUVs I own a 1996 Tahoe LT and love it. If some one said go try a GMC I gladly would, but my loyalty lies with my Tahoe... Both brands are very important to GM and make lots of money. Heck, GMC only sells GM's most profitable vehicle lines so that's why they most likely are still around.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I think conlan got it right on the money with saying that gmc is the main vehicle that gm sells, or however he put it. My favorite is and prolly will always be the GMCs. and if i really wanted to i prolly would take a chevy 90s and change it to a gmc, but that is if i really wanted a project to keep me busy with something.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I would call slightly different tail lenses "cosmetic". Besides you are comparing a 2000 Silverado to a 2004 Sierra. You need to compare the same year (i.e. 2004 Silverado and 2004 Sierra).
    I would, too, if there were no wiring changes. However, the wiring to those cosmetic tail lights is also different ... and the word 'cosmetic' deals with appearance. Can you see that wiring from the outside of the vehicle? No. So by definition the wiring differences are NOT cosmetic.

Of course, the differences are few, we all agree on that, they are the same platforms.

However, each division's designers and enginers are permitted to customize the looks and ride and the performance (within limits) to meet the needs of the target consumer.

Pikey alluded to the differences between the Trailblazer and the Envoy; again, the same platform. I owned an Envoy and I belong to a Trailblazer/Envoy forum, so I feel qualified to comment on the differences between those two vehicles.

Both of these trucks use the 2 speed, part time 4 wd transfer case (so I won't consider the AWD versions of these trucks.

The powertrains were the same, had the same gear ratios, under the skin, the bodies were the same. However, they had different interiors (dash and trim), they had different body panels, they had different wheels and they had different shocks. A lot of different tires were used as the factory OEM tire, I assume, the tires met the always changing specs for ride quality.

But, for the most part, they were the same; but the funny part, they each appealed to different customer groups, my wife like the Envoy, did not like the Trailblazer (probably the reason I had an Envoy, haha). I didn't buy it as a new vehicle, but the same logic applies, "would GM have lost a customer if they only offered the Chev vehicle?".
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I didn't buy it as a new vehicle, but the same logic applies, "would GM have lost a customer if they only offered the Chev vehicle?".
    I think RayVoy makes a great point here. I'm sure there are many other reasons why Chevy and GM need each other, but I'm sure brand loyalty / losing customers would be at the top of the list.

To answer the OP, I do think GM & Chevy do need each other. I don't necessarily think that General Motors would disappear with the removal of one make of truck, but definitely think their pockets would be hurting.

I don't know much about the differences. I have only owned a few Chevys. Now that I think of it I don't think I've even seen the inside of a Sierra.

Personally I would choose the GMC if I was buying new. I like the look of the wheel wells better. I'm not saying I don't love my Chevy, but c'mon that sierra looks tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Wow, do you have some sort of complex? This is the second time that you have mentioned that GMC owners are elitist! I don't think that I am any better than anyone else because I have a GMC. I did not go out and say to my wife, "Hey, we all know that I am extremely awesome and my extreme awesomeness has outgrown chevy, lets get a GMC just to accentuate my awesomeness! "
    Pikey, you mean that's not how you decided on the gmc? And to think I've been confused this whole time.

But seriously, you seem really knowledgeable from day one of me joining GMTC. Nice posts.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrigginNoodles View Post
    I think RayVoy makes a great point here. I'm sure there are many other reasons why Chevy and GM need each other, but I'm sure brand loyalty / losing customers would be at the top of the list.

To answer the OP, I do think GM & Chevy do need each other. I don't necessarily think that General Motors would disappear with the removal of one make of truck, but definitely think their pockets would be hurting.

I don't know much about the differences. I have only owned a few Chevys. Now that I think of it I don't think I've even seen the inside of a Sierra.

Personally I would choose the GMC if I was buying new. I like the look of the wheel wells better. I'm not saying I don't love my Chevy, but c'mon that sierra looks tough.

Pikey, you mean that's not how you decided on the gmc? And to think I've been confused this whole time.

But seriously, you seem really knowledgeable from day one of me joining GMTC. Nice posts.
    Thank you @FrigginNoodles , I am here to help when ever I can.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

As far as the Envoy and Trailblazer, they looked quite a bit different.

The Sierra and Silverado look identical from an interior standpoint.

I don't think if GM discontinued GMC trucks that potential buyers looking at a new truck purchase would go buy a Ford or Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    The reason they don't offer manual transmissions is not a money issue... It is an EPA issue. Thank the Government for that. We can import vehicles with manual transmissions and diesel engines but it is FAR too costly for an American car maker to have those offerings.
    The real reason GM stopped offering manual transmissions is a money thing. If a option isn't moving off the lots, or being ordered by customers, it's not cost effective to continue to offer it. Don't get mad and blame GM. Blame all the guys who bought trucks with automatics.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345