GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default State's Lift Laws

Just because states can, they have laws or codes/statues for lifted trucks. So it would be helpful to know them.

http://www.liftlaws.com/
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

I checked out that link. For Michigan everything seems accurate except the mud flap point. Michigan requires mudflaps if the body of the vehicle is not designed to prevent kickup. I know odd right? My 1995 stock was ok. as soon as I lifted it then by law mudflaps were required. Being a 1500 I was over the frame and bumper heights very quickly, even running 35's. That being said, 90% of the officers here do not know much if anything about the lift laws. I was pulled over multiple times for speeding (when I was young and dumb). They would let the speeding ticket go and try to nail me on lift violations. I received multiple tickets for having a lift block in the front of the truck. They were looking at the rubber bump stop. I also got tickets for having more then one block in the rear. Which I did not. The blocks I had were made with a taper from the center to each end. The high point where the taper began had a line. The officers insisted it was 2 blocks. Needless to say, I found every ticket in court. I won every time, I simply showed the judge pictures of the rubber bump stop and the rear block, I actually purchased extras of each and took them to court with me to show them.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yea most cops in NC don't bother with lift laws either but I found the one that cared. He asked after giving me my first and only speeding ticket, good thing I only had a 4" lift on the Bronco.

Ive been thinking about lifting my GMC Yukon. Does anybody know about lift laws for ND. And also is it true that the the more inches you lift a vehicle the higher your insurance is?
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    Ive been thinking about lifting my GMC Yukon. Does anybody know about lift laws for ND. And also is it true that the the more inches you lift a vehicle the higher your insurance is?
    Why would the insurance company even know that your vehicle is lifted? The only insurance downside is that the thousands of dollars you can spend on a lift kit won't be covered.
    2000 Sierra Reg. Cab 5 Speed

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

It's strange There are Laws around here BUT not enforced as much as they were years ago. My first truck (88 S-10 Blazer) was lifted by the Book One insepction station said I had to go through a Lift check at a differant place for a tilt test, I got there and he told me Are you kidding?? I had a 3in Body and 3 in Sup lift on it and better sway bars front and rear.. Cutout fender flairs and running 33's. I gotta post some pics of that truck.. Anyway I do go to NYC all the time and if i WAS to lift my truck now I would not be able to park it in any of the garages..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Why would the insurance company even know that your vehicle is lifted? The only insurance downside is that the thousands of dollars you can spend on a lift kit won't be covered.
    I was just wondering because my dad said that the insurance (State Farm) would be higher for every inch it was lifted.

Anyway I do go to NYC all the time and if i WAS to lift my truck now I would not be able to park it in any of the garages..
    Maybe you should lower it than. or not go to NYC anymore.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    I was just wondering because my dad said that the insurance (State Farm) would be higher for every inch it was lifted.

Maybe you should lower it than. or not go to NYC anymore.

Guess you have never been there...

[QUOTE=1953bowtieguy;523523]I was just wondering because my dad said that the insurance (State Farm) would be higher for every inch it was lifted. [QUOTE]

state farm insured my 1995 silverado with 6 inch suspension, 3 inch body and 38.5" tires. They were the cheapest I could find. Actually a few insurance companies (including the one that carries my other vehicles and home owners) would not insure it because I told them that I wanted a policy that would cover the lift kit. So, I bought a BDS kit with their no questions asked lifetime warranty. Figured that if I crashed it the insurance could pay to fix the truck and bds would replace the damaged lift components. Luckily, I never had to test that theory!

I need to check in to this for my truck. The insurance co for my Harley has an option to insure aftermarket items. If you go that route the lowest they would insure was $3k. Since I have more than that in just my rims I of course went that route. Like I said I need to check into that option for my truck.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by