GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default P1870 PCV valve??

Hey y'all. I need your collective wisdom...

I was driving back to NC today from visiting family in GA. About half way home my truck started to shift hard from first to second and the service engine light came on. I pulled over to an auto parts store and had the code read... P1870 Transmission Component Slipping. There wasn't much I could do about that from the parking lot, but my very very limited knowledge led me to think about the remote possibility of some type of vacuum problem. Long shot I know... but I was in the parking lot with two dogs, a hungry baby, and pretty much no tools so I replaced the only thing I could think of... the pcv valve. As soon as I did my truck started shifting as smooth as glass. I reset the check engine light and it hasn't come back on.

Is this too good to be true? What should I check? I've got another road trip in a couple of weeks and I want to be cautious.

Thank y'all!

- - - Updated - - -

Should probably add that I have a 2000 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by ajwade View Post
    Hey y'all. I need your collective wisdom...

I was driving back to NC today from visiting family in GA. About half way home my truck started to shift hard from first to second and the service engine light came on. I pulled over to an auto parts store and had the code read... P1870 Transmission Component Slipping. There wasn't much I could do about that from the parking lot, but my very very limited knowledge led me to think about the remote possibility of some type of vacuum problem. Long shot I know... but I was in the parking lot with two dogs, a hungry baby, and pretty much no tools so I replaced the only thing I could think of... the pcv valve. As soon as I did my truck started shifting as smooth as glass. I reset the check engine light and it hasn't come back on.

Is this too good to be true? What should I check? I've got another road trip in a couple of weeks and I want to be cautious.

Thank y'all!

- - - Updated - - -

Should probably add that I have a 2000 Silverado Z71
    The Link below, has a G.M. Service Bulletin about......Transmission Trouble Code P1870, Regarding Harsh 1-2 Shifts

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/54475-LOOK-HERE!!!-Trouble-code-p1870-for-harsh-1-2-shifts#axzz2DHvxNAiX
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 11-26-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks a lot.

I wonder, though, why everything went back to working order as soon as I changed the PCV valve? Seems like it is something other than what is in that bulletin... Not to say that might not also be an issue... Any thoughts?

I really appreciate it!

Legend

as the mileage gets beyond 100,ooomi the transmission fluid if not regularly replaced along with the filter will erode these transmission valves and cause them to stick.

replacing the mentioned valves will usually correct this for a period of time , but the damage is done from using dexron III over a long time . the fluid eats away the metal this is the gray color you may see as the fluid ages. the new dexron VI GM now uses is a highly resistant fluid to heat and turning acidic.

many have replaced these valves / replace both not just the one

2000 siL 5.3L 4X4 IN 2001 the DEXRON III was dumped and MOBIL synthetic tranny fluid installed.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks a lot!

I do have my transmission fluid and filter "regularly" changed. Probably every 40,000 or so.

I changed the PCV valve on the back of the manifold on the driver's side. Is there a second one? Where is it located?

Legend

if your the original owner and replaced the filter/ fluid @ the 40,000mi interval even with dexron III which is not a long lasting fluid ,,, the wear should not be to bad. the valves however do also get worn/electrical issues . solenoid wiring etc...of the valve.