GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Silverado drain plug transmission pan good or bad idea?

I was tossing around the idea of putting a different pan on my new Silverado 6 speed auto.

Is this a good idea? Have others done it here?

Thanks.
    Last edited by stchman; 11-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.

drain plugs are good to have. are you thinking of a higher capacity pan?
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    drain plugs are good to have. are you thinking of a higher capacity pan?
    Higher capacity would be nice, though not necessary. I would just like a way for me to change the fluid in the pan every 10K miles or so in an easy fashion.

the plug also makes it easier when you change the filter out as you can drain the fluid first. Because it is just a massive mess the other way. I have a drain plug on mine but it has the stupid torqx bolt that gm loves and it just stripped out when I went to drain it. But if you can put a standard hex bolt styled drain in I would recommend it. They are not absolutely necessary though.

the plug also makes it easier when you change the filter out as you can drain the fluid first. Because it is just a massive mess the other way. I have a drain plug on mine but it has the stupid torqx bolt that gm loves and it just stripped out when I went to drain it. But if you can put a standard hex bolt styled drain in I would recommend it. They are not absolutely necessary though.
    Your auto trans pan came from the factory with a drain plug?

How did you strip out a torx, I thought when they fit porperly, a torx is nearly impossible to strip out.

yep it came with a plug with a T55 head. I was using a cheap socket at first (didnt think I needed an impact gun quality one for a plug) and the socket tips started to twist and then it started stripping out the plug. I tried heating etc wouldnt budge. So basically my plug was worthless.

Legend

my 2000 sil 4X4 4L60 tranny deep pan has the drain plug. this is good because all but a qt of the fluid comes out. then dropping the pan is not messy.

so the 6sp automatic now does not have this ?

another reason not to get a new GM truck.

I would get the pan with the plug, same size. [no filter issues]

yep it came with a plug with a T55 head. I was using a cheap socket at first (didnt think I needed an impact gun quality one for a plug) and the socket tips started to twist and then it started stripping out the plug. I tried heating etc wouldnt budge. So basically my plug was worthless.
    I had the same issue. I was using a snap-on T-55 torques, so it was not low quality. It happened on my 03 yukon xl. If I remember correctly my 02 silverado had a regular hex head plug, I know that I stripped that one also. Not a big deal I was changing the filter anyway and had to drop the pan. May have been a cleaner job if I had the drain plug.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Use a Castro 20/50. It's the thickest oil for high milage cars. You'll need about 5 quarts if it's v6. Oil and filter are the things to change for regular oil change.Top up the radiator, break oil, transmission oil, tire pressure, washer fluid etc.

Quote Originally Posted by malcom1978 View Post
    Use a Castro 20/50. It's the thickest oil for high milage cars. You'll need about 5 quarts if it's v6. Oil and filter are the things to change for regular oil change.Top up the radiator, break oil, transmission oil, tire pressure, washer fluid etc.
    Ummm, that is a little off topic! Has nothing to do with the discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by