GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

On the gm tranny pan plug , I found that GM used permenent lock tight on these drain plugs. When I have had to remove these type pans , I heat the plug till it glows red then unscrew it. One time as I was heating up the plug the lock tight exploded out. good thing I had safety goggles on.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    On the gm tranny pan plug , I found that GM used permenent lock tight on these drain plugs. When I have had to remove these type pans , I heat the plug till it glows red then unscrew it. One time as I was heating up the plug the lock tight exploded out. good thing I had safety goggles on.
    Wow, that explains why I could not get either of them out. It does not seem to make much sense to locktight a drain plug in. That would be like putting red lock tight on your oil drain plug.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Wow, that explains why I could not get either of them out. It does not seem to make much sense to locktight a drain plug in. That would be like putting red lock tight on your oil drain plug.
    yeah pretty much another dumb idea by gm. I tried heating it too, but I didnt get it to glowing as I am always afraid of messing things up that way.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

using a small propane torch heat until it glows red but not too much, then place the cold tool on the stud/plug this then shrinks the plug as the gradual torque is applied it will release.

must remove pan first !

trying to remove this plug vehicle 1 yr old 15,ooomi. I applied so much torque prior to the heat process that , the pan was flexing. that told me permanent lock tight. this then I found on other pans of this vintage.

because of the linkage exhaust and other components the fluid removal before droping pan sure does make it much less of a mess.

using a small propane torch heat until it glows red but not too much, then place the cold tool on the stud/plug this then shrinks the plug as the gradual torque is applied it will release.

must remove pan first !

trying to remove this plug vehicle 1 yr old 15,ooomi. I applied so much torque prior to the heat process that , the pan was flexing. that told me permanent lock tight. this then I found on other pans of this vintage.

because of the linkage exhaust and other components the fluid removal before droping pan sure does make it much less of a mess.
    I know what you are saying there. I was planning on draining it thru the plug. When I could not get it out I started to drop the pan. Only then did I realize that the linkage was in the way. What a mess I made. The next time went smoothly without a drop of fluid on the garage floor.

Blog Entries

I think I will get a plug made in the spring for our crew cab....I would probably change the
    Granny fluid then every year as maintenance....thanks to any or all for this interesting thfead
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12