GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Suggestions for a 2012 1500

    Needing some suggestions for some mods to do to my 2012 1500. I am currently about to add; towing mirrors, cab lights, exhaust, tool box, and leveling kit. I already have a rockford fosgate sound system, brushguard, front bug guard, rain guards, blacked out bowties, and led dome lights.

    2012 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT 5.3
    Black Westin Brush Guard
    Blacked Out Bowties
    30% Tint Front Side Windows
    15% Tint Front

  2. #2

    Default

    How much do you need those side steps? Also you could look into aftermarket headlights and tai lights
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

  3. #3

    Default

    I am actually going to be ditching the factory side steps soon. I found some headlights that looked factory but where black, I can't remember who made them either. Been looking for them but have not had any luck finding them

    2012 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT 5.3
    Black Westin Brush Guard
    Blacked Out Bowties
    30% Tint Front Side Windows
    15% Tint Front

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HFD525 View Post
    I am actually going to be ditching the factory side steps soon. I found some headlights that looked factory but where black, I can't remember who made them either. Been looking for them but have not had any luck finding them
    google search spec d black euro headlights for 07+ silverado I just picked up the ones you are talking bout and love them
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

  5. #5
    Master Mechanic silverhobey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    888
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I like my Tailgate shock ( even though I need it replaced under warranty as it
    comes down too fast ) Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

    ---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

    ---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

    ---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

    ---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HFD525 View Post
    Needing some suggestions for some mods to do to my 2012 1500. I am currently about to add; towing mirrors, cab lights, exhaust, tool box, and leveling kit. I already have a rockford fosgate sound system, brushguard, front bug guard, rain guards, blacked out bowties, and led dome lights.
    Unless you are towing some really long wide trailers, towing mirrors are not needed and don't look very good.

    Cab lights are for 1 ton dually trucks, they look dumb on a 1/2 ton(looks like the person driving it has 1 ton envy).

    I am all for exhaust, are you going catback dual, muffle replacement?

    A tool box is ok, I would just get one that does not go over the bed rails.

    Unless you are going to hard core off road that truck(by getting a leveling kit I assume you're not) a brush guard is not needed and really detracts from the nice looks of the Silverado front end.

  7. #7

    Default

    As always, mods are what you would like on your truck, not what others think about them. That being said, I like the brush guard. I have seen many trucks with cab lights and they look perfectly fine. If that is what you want then go for it. Be careful buying aftermarket lights, I have seen some that look awesome but, throw a terrible light pattern. Most the time you get what you pay for. @Fonze did an sweet looking halo kit on his silverado, he did it with the stock lights and it looks nice. (my opinion) As far as suggestions, How about a cold air intake and a Custom tune? (after you do exhaust of course) Custom tunes don't cost what they used to and can be very beneficial as far as hp and sometimes mpg. You no longer have to find a shop to do them. Some guys do them thru email (we have a vendor on the site that does it at a fair price). Have you considered a soft cover for the bed? maybe a hard cover? If you are considering that at some point then you may want to make sure you have an under the rail tool box. I suggest that when you buy things keep in mind future mods that may be affected by what you are putting on now. It sucks buying the same thing twice! Again, these are just my opinions do what you want, you have a goal in mind of how you want your truck to look at the end.

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  8. #8
    Legend


    mfleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Unless you are towing some really long wide trailers, towing mirrors are not needed and don't look very good.

    Interesting...for off-roaders they come in handy since we need a large field of view when reversing. There are many times when you have to reverse for long distances due to many off-road trails only being one vehicle wide and someone (usually the person going downhill) has to back up until there is room for the vehicles to get around each other. Additionally, the lower portion of the mirror works great for rear tire placement, thus creating two viewing angles which is extremely helpful.

    In any case HFD, if you like them, install them. Many people like they way they look regardless of function (I being one of them, and it just so happens I get the best of both worlds; function and looks ).

    And for additional mods, may want to consider a tonneau cover.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 11-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.


    Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

    SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Interesting...for off-roaders they come in handy since we need a large field of view when reversing. There are many times when you have to reverse for long distances due to many off-road trails only being one vehicle wide and someone (usually the person going downhill) has to back up until there is room for the vehicles to get around each other. Additionally, the lower portion of the mirror works great for rear tire placement, thus creating two viewing angles which is extremely helpful.

    In any case HFD, if you like them, install them. Many people like they way they look regardless of function (I being one of them, and it just so happens I get the best of both worlds; function and looks ).

    And for additional mods, may want to consider a tonneau cover.
    While I can agree with you that better viewing is nice to have, the OP probably won't be doing a whole lot of off-roading with that truck.

    The OP appears to have an LTZ Silverado judging by the body color grill and bumper and body colored skull caps on the mirrors. The LTZ comes standard with retractable mirrors, I am not sure if putting on aftermarket camper style towing mirrors will have the retractable feature as well.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    While I can agree with you that better viewing is nice to have, the OP probably won't be doing a whole lot of off-roading with that truck.

    The OP appears to have an LTZ Silverado judging by the body color grill and bumper and body colored skull caps on the mirrors. The LTZ comes standard with retractable mirrors, I am not sure if putting on aftermarket camper style towing mirrors will have the retractable feature as well.
    Looking at the OP's Silverado 4WD, Pictured above, its the LT Trim, and by having the 18in" Alloy Rims, it has the Z71 Off-Road Package........and with All the Color Matching, it has the Z71 Appearance Package.

    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade suggestions ~ 2012 Silverado
    By Kemper in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
  3. New 1500 owner. suggestions on extras. Bloomington, IL
    By motoxgirl09 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 09:02 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM
  5. 06 silverado ls 1500 4.8 crew cab "exausht" suggestions
    By johnsstart in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •