GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

and to have 38.5s on it you have to have a 12" lift?
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    and to have 38.5s on it you have to have a 12" lift?
    this is way off topic. No, I did it with a 6" and a 3" body. If the 12 was available then, I probably would have done it and tried to run 44's. If not the 44's I would have had much more space for wheel travel. This was not a daily driver, I only drove it to mud pits or the sand dunes. It was a 1995 and when I sold it last summer it had 60,000 miles on it. It is really fun going thru the mud ahead of your buddys that are running 33's or 35's. Punch it and dig some nice deep ruts and then spend the next half hour pulling their dodges and fords across the hole because they bottom out or just plain get stuck.

Back to the topic. In Michigan you can bypass the lift law by having a "dump truck". All you have to do is install the dump kit to your existing bed. Basically some hinges and a few supports for the bed. It does not have to have a hydro cylinder, As long as you can tilt the bed back they can not give you a ticket for being lifted too high. I have seen a few trucks with and without hydro cylinder kits. They get pulled over, the officer starts asking questions about the lift, they hop out, lift the bed slightly and are on their way. You must have mudflaps on it if you do the dump bed or they will nail you on that

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Back to the topic. In Michigan you can bypass the lift law by having a "dump truck". All you have to do is install the dump kit to your existing bed. Basically some hinges and a few supports for the bed. It does not have to have a hydro cylinder, As long as you can tilt the bed back they can not give you a ticket for being lifted too high. I have seen a few trucks with and without hydro cylinder kits. They get pulled over, the officer starts asking questions about the lift, they hop out, lift the bed slightly and are on their way. You must have mudflaps on it if you do the dump bed or they will nail you on that

Interesting that a nice little loop hole. I wonder what other loop holes there could be. It sounds like Michigan cops keep an eye on lifted trucks which is unlucky for you all.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

The state police mostly. But, like I said before, they don't know what they are looking at unless you are pulled over by a weighmaster (commercial truck enforcement) Then you are screwed. They know the law to the T and actually know what they are looking at when they crawl under your truck.

with as bad as CA is in most areas the lift laws arent actually too bad here. I could actually lift my truck up to where I have the frame another 10" higher because I have the 3/4 ton. I can have the frame a max of 31" off the ground and I am currently at 21". Its based on vehicle weight so if I had the 1/2 ton I think I would be at the technical max height (but I have seen higher). Dont usually see people get too hassled here. I did se a short CHP getting all pissed when they were barely halfway up this guys F350 door which was hillarious. I have been yelled at twice by the same cop for mudflaps but no ticket (even then the mudflap law is fairly vague and probably not too hard to get around).
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123