GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traction Bars, axle wrap and wheel hop

I am looking at getting some traction bars for my truck. I have always had an issue with the vibration at take off since the lift. I added the spacer on the carrier bearing and that had helped. Since then I went to a 5" block instead of the 4" block. For a while now the vibration at take off has been getting worse and I think may be leading to some of the driveline problems I have been fighting. I thought about a bigger spacer but I think the driveline angle looks pretty good and a bigger spacer I think would put to big an angle at the transfer case. So I am looking at traction bars.

Procomp makes one but wants something around $500 and most other ladder bars are like that. Now tough country makes a lighter duty bar that goes on the leaf spring to frame (and is $130). I am not doing drag races so this would probably work with my driving. the question is with the 5" block does anyone think that this other type will still work since the bar doesnt attach to the axle per say. would it still allow axle wrapping?

Here is a link to the one I am looking at.

http://www.tuffcountry.com/miscellan...tion-bars.html

Thanks
    Last edited by dsfloyd; 11-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

Blog Entries

Interesting issue David...here is a little bump for ya.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Those look something like the load leveling kit that @SurrealOne installed http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...pension-Review
    I don't know how effective they would be at stopping wheel hop. It may help some with wrap. But, with the bars being so short, and the mounting plate being so far away (5") from the axle, I think that you may have leverage working against you. I had the procomp with the duel shock kit on my truck. The mounting plate mounts right on the axle. I never had an issue with wheel hop or axle wrap again. They looked awesome and worked very well.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Those look something like the load leveling kit that @SurrealOne installed http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...pension-Review
    I don't know how effective they would be at stopping wheel hop. It may help some with wrap. But, with the bars being so short, and the mounting plate being so far away (5") from the axle, I think that you may have leverage working against you. I had the procomp with the duel shock kit on my truck. The mounting plate mounts right on the axle. I never had an issue with wheel hop or axle wrap again. They looked awesome and worked very well.
    Thanks. the distance from the axle is my biggest concern with these trac bars being effective.

I saw that thread by surrealone originally a while back, they looked good but I already have airbags and at the time of the write up wasnt thinking my issue may be wheel hop/wrap. I ordered the tuff country's yesterday so I will probably install them next Saturday (not tomorrow). I will post how they worked on the vibration (hopefully it works or the wife will be pissed . I can hear it now. "spending more money on the truck?"). It definately wont do as much as ladder bars but if it does enough for the vibration then I'll be happy. Now the only thing I am worried about with fit is clearance from the airbags. They are fairly close to the spring pack, and the track bars will have a bolt there so there's always issues.

Sr. Mechanic

CHeck DIY4x for there traction bar or Off Road Design. you'll need to do some welding but they way cheaper than 500 and are probably better built

91 Suburban

D44/14BFF w/Disc conv - Yukon 4:88's - Yukon Grizzly Lockers F/R -13" lift - DIY4x Shackle Flip - 37 ATZ on 18 MT Classics - Doug Thorley headers - Magnaflow - Holley Pro Jection Intake - Ultimate TBI mods - Hydroboost Brake Conversion - Hysteer-X Over Conversion.

(Coming up - Fuel Injected 383 Stroker - Divorced NP205 - D60 - 40" tires)

I had a set of Rough Country Ladder bars on my 99 4x4 Tacoma (9" lift 36" tires, 410 HP 3.4ltr) after using the RAS system like Surreal has, on my 2011 Silverado (1500/2wd) I ended up swapping the Ladder bars for a set of RAS load levelers, the difference was extremely noticeable, in addition to getting rid of axle rap they also help with sway control and keeping the truck level when I hook up the boat or car trailers.
    As much as I liked the ladder bars a couple negatives they had were limiting articulation (yes the RAS limits articulation but not as bad) angle of approach on certain obstacles, and they didnt do anything for sway control or load leveling.
    The RAS provides a much better bang for the buck over a set of Ladder bars.

i may have to get a RAS system in my truck soon. all these things it helps with. i know im not running a big lift, but on occasion the rear end does a little shimy thing i have noticed.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

the over leaf spring trac bars come in today so I will try to install them this weekend. Hopefully not a waste of money but we will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by kburb View Post
    CHeck DIY4x for there traction bar or Off Road Design. you'll need to do some welding but they way cheaper than 500 and are probably better built
    thanks for the sites. Welding is one of the things I have kicked myself for not taking in highschool (did wood and auto). One of the things I still want to learn how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    the over leaf spring trac bars come in today so I will try to install them this weekend. Hopefully not a waste of money but we will find out.
    Have fun! Oh, and pics, please?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Have fun! Oh, and pics, please?
    So I finally finished installing them. Not too bad of a process. Directions were good but could have been a little better. Took my time, but I had work yesterday evening, so it took a couple hours yesterday afternoon and then about an hour to finish up this morning.

This is the kit. Only a few pieces

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-08_09-10-52_972.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	46688

I had to disconnect the airbag bracket to allow the axle to drop. This was somewhat of a pain getting the jack stands on the frame high enough so I could eventually get the axle to fully lower.

Name:	2012-12-08_13-40-20_911.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	46679

This is how the bracket is supposed to be installed, but the airbags are close to the axle and the upper bolt would have been in the way.

Name:	2012-12-08_14-09-08_629.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	46680

So I flipped the bracket around. The lower holes in the bracke are centered so this just moved the bolt to the tire side where there is more clearance. this also offset the bar towards the outside of the spring than towards the inside. The minimal change I dont think will make a difference (but then again I am not paid to think).

Name:	2012-12-08_14-11-05_995.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	46681

A 7/8" hole needed to be drilled into the stock spring hangar. This is where flipping the bracket around made the hole a little closer to the outside edge of the spring hangar but there should still be enough metal as I tried to keep it as centered as possible.

Name:	2012-12-09_08-49-10_376.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	46682

The threaded end had the nut, washer, bushing (on both sides of hole) just secured and not tightened and then greased and installed the rear bushing and crush sleeve. Installed and torqued the rear bolt. Part at hangar is still loose.

Name:	2012-12-09_09-18-33_72.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	46683

At this point the axle and tire are lifted again to install tire (and to reinstall the upper airbag bracket).

Name:	2012-12-09_09-39-05_942.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	46684

With the tire installed and the truck lowered and weight back on the tires, the front part of the track bar is finally tightened

Name:	2012-12-09_10-14-03_142.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	46685

The instructions say to tighten the rear and front nut on the threaded part so I tried to equally tighten both sides by going back and forth until tight (directions said 45 lbs so I didnt crank on these one but they were tight).

Name:	2012-12-09_10-14-13_818.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	46686

Final pic of the installed trac bar. We are going to take the truck out today when we do our shopping, so I will see if it fixes the vibration at take off (which was the whole reason I bought these).

Name:	2012-12-09_10-14-31_534.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	46687

Heres to crossing my fingers and I will update later. I am supposed to retorque after 500 miles and then again every 3k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast