GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    If you're thinking it gives you more power over the stock set up, it does NOT.
    I do believe that with a less restrictive air filter and a less restrictive tube, some performance gain will be realized.

There are multiple schools of thought about the cia systems. Older trucks like my 1995 or 2005 have a very restrictive tube, while the newer trucks tube is much less restrictive. Increases in performance may be more evident in older model trucks then newer trucks. That being said some believe that the baffles in the stock tube are not meant to restrict air flow but, to smooth the flow of air out. So when it enters the throttle body is it less turbulent and flows easier into the motor. Then there are the folks that say that changing just the intake without changing out the exhaust system is pointless. If you are letting air flow in easier but not out then gains will not be realized. I really don't know what the correct answer is. I had a drop in k&n in my silverado. Did I notice a difference? Maybe. It could have just been a mental thing though

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    There are multiple schools of thought about the cia systems. Older trucks like my 1995 or 2005 have a very restrictive tube, while the newer trucks tube is much less restrictive. Increases in performance may be more evident in older model trucks then newer trucks. That being said some believe that the baffles in the stock tube are not meant to restrict air flow but, to smooth the flow of air out. So when it enters the throttle body is it less turbulent and flows easier into the motor. Then there are the folks that say that changing just the intake without changing out the exhaust system is pointless. If you are letting air flow in easier but not out then gains will not be realized. I really don't know what the correct answer is. I had a drop in k&n in my silverado. Did I notice a difference? Maybe. It could have just been a mental thing though
    There are people that think those throttle body spacers do something besides make a whistle sound.

I still don't see what that spinning the air equates to more HP and torque.

I live in Michigan near ford and gm headquarters. I have seen ford engineers use microsized balls or rubber bb's and high speed cameras to watch the flow of air thru intakes and engines. They use clear components for some things and cutaways for others so they can see thru them. It is pretty cool to watch. It makes me think that what ever they put on my truck stock is probably for a good reason. I mean, a straight less restrictive tube would be a lot cheaper for GM to manufacture, yet they build (or have them built) the tubes with baffles

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Sr. Engineer

I would agree with Pikey. Engineers do things for a reason and not all of them for performance. Think a few moves ahead before you change stock components.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

i have a drop in k&n filter in my stick air box. dont plan on doing a full CAI either. I really didnt even buy the filter for the power aspect of it, more so to have a long life air filter.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I live in Michigan near ford and gm headquarters. I have seen ford engineers use microsized balls or rubber bb's and high speed cameras to watch the flow of air thru intakes and engines. They use clear components for some things and cutaways for others so they can see thru them. It is pretty cool to watch. It makes me think that what ever they put on my truck stock is probably for a good reason. I mean, a straight less restrictive tube would be a lot cheaper for GM to manufacture, yet they build (or have them built) the tubes with baffles
    Agreed, but a lot of what they do is to make the vehicle quieter. The engineers at Ford and GM do a fantastic job of getting the maximum power with the noise constraints placed on them.

With that being said, if you don't mind a little more volume, you can achieve better performance with:

free flowing exhaust
    free flowing intake

Removing that water heater sized quiet muffler is a good start.

To be honest the 1996-1999 OBS truck had a fairly non restrictive air intake. The tube is about 3" and the filter is massive as you can see from my air box. No matter what you are still restricted by how much air can come through the intake in the fender that leads to the front of the truck. Mine is 3" wide and 4" tall at the opening, but the opening behind the grill is much smaller. Only about 2"x 3" in size.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-14_12-06-30_908.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	46559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-13_19-51-53_782.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	46560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-13_15-20-51_178b.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	46563

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    No matter what you are still restricted by how much air can come through the intake in the fender that leads to the front of the truck.
    Unless you cut the bottom out of the airbox!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Unless you cut the bottom out of the airbox!
    Well of course, but then it doesn't really make it a "COLD" air intake since it will suck in hot air from the engine compartment.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast