GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Help me spend my winnings...

Recently I was lucky enough to win some money while playing a game of chance. The winnings won't quite cover the full cost of what I want, but they'll come close. The problem is that I can't decide between two different items ... so I figured I'd take some input from those on the forums.

The items in question are 10" LED off-road light bars ... a pair of them to be precise. I intend to fit them into the twin bumper slots where I currently have some small Carriage Works billet grilles that match my main grille.

My current front-runner is the Rigid 10" SR-Series Specter LED Light bar (model 91061):
    Link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...sspecter10.htm
    The output is 5100 raw lumens, 53 watts, at 3.7amps.

My current second choice is the Rigid 10" SR-Series Hybrid LED Light bar (model 91031):
    Link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/srseries10.htm
    The output is 3200 raw lumens, 35 watts, at 2.4 amps. (This one's also referred to as the 'combo' pattern.)

I like the first because of the output ... but I like the second for the beam pattern. You can see the beam patterns by visiting the links and scrolling down once on the page. The price doesn't sway me either way as this will be little out of my pocket because of the winnings.

Would ya'll be kind enough to provide your input to help me decide? These are marked down 5% at a site where I intend to buy ... and there's a sale running at that site from Black Friday through Cyber Monday that has a 10% off coupon for orders over $200.00. Shipping is also free. Thus, it's a good time to buy and I need to make a decision this weekend.

@nakranij, @aloxdaddy99, @AMac -- I'm particularly interested in your opinions if you happen to drop by, this weekend. We've always bounced ideas and taken input from one another in chat and I value your opinions heavily. Since we don't have chat I'm hoping you'll see this post and be able to respond in time.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ok 1 word... PowerBall tonight... $325Mill If you win... You can buy all of us some Lights.. Or better yet Buy the Co.....

Ok Ok As for the lights..The 2nd one should do ya fine...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Ok 1 word... PowerBall tonight... $325Mill If you win... You can buy all of us some Lights.. Or better yet Buy the Co.....

Ok Ok As for the lights..The 2nd one should do ya fine...
    I'm not that lucky. And yes, either set is fine. The first set is 80 dollars more per light for 158% more lumens per light. What this really comes down to is whether the added light of the first set trumps the hybrid beam pattern of the second. That's what I am having trouble determining.

Master Mechanic

well I'm always for more power and brightness and since the first one puts out more lumens I'd have to go with that one.

id do the combo pattern myself. brighter isnt better if its not used effectivly.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Ah this is the tough question..... You know me, I like my lights bright, as bright as I can get them..... but having said that..... I respect the differences in "driving" lights and what I will term "wide field of vision" lights (some people call these wide angle ones "fog" lights which they technically are not.

If I could take the winnings and double it. I would get a hybrid and a driving light set for 4 lights..... but If I had to choose one, it would be the hybrid as I have HID's for distance.

So it looks like an even split, as follows:
    * Enkei and Sierra say combo
    * Amac and Nak say driving

Note: Nak said combo for himself, since he has HIDs. I don't, so the implication is that if he were HIDless, like me, he'd go with the driving lights. Hence the categorization, above.

The split, above, didn't help much with my decision, but it's been made. I chose the driving lights for the increased brightness. If I need a wider pattern I'll simply aim the lights to get the spread I want.

Thanks for the input, all...

I have thought about adding a set of those to compliment my existing piaa setup. I have my PIAA lights setup in a so the light output is in an x pattern. I do this to light up as much area as possible. My decision would be if they are adjustable I would go with the brightest.. if not then the ones that will flood the most area.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Recently I was lucky enough to win some money while playing a game of chance. The winnings won't quite cover the full cost of what I want, but they'll come close. The problem is that I can't decide between two different items ... so I figured I'd take some input from those on the forums.

The items in question are 10" LED off-road light bars ... a pair of them to be precise. I intend to fit them into the twin bumper slots where I currently have some small Carriage Works billet grilles that match my main grille.

My current front-runner is the Rigid 10" SR-Series Specter LED Light bar (model 91061):
    Link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...sspecter10.htm
    The output is 5100 raw lumens, 53 watts, at 3.7amps.

My current second choice is the Rigid 10" SR-Series Hybrid LED Light bar (model 91031):
    Link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/srseries10.htm
    The output is 3200 raw lumens, 35 watts, at 2.4 amps. (This one's also referred to as the 'combo' pattern.)

I like the first because of the output ... but I like the second for the beam pattern. You can see the beam patterns by visiting the links and scrolling down once on the page. The price doesn't sway me either way as this will be little out of my pocket because of the winnings.

Would ya'll be kind enough to provide your input to help me decide? These are marked down 5% at a site where I intend to buy ... and there's a sale running at that site from Black Friday through Cyber Monday that has a 10% off coupon for orders over $200.00. Shipping is also free. Thus, it's a good time to buy and I need to make a decision this weekend.

@nakranij, @aloxdaddy99, @AMac -- I'm particularly interested in your opinions if you happen to drop by, this weekend. We've always bounced ideas and taken input from one another in chat and I value your opinions heavily. Since we don't have chat I'm hoping you'll see this post and be able to respond in time.
    You could buy me a coffee!!!! just kidding....Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

id have to go wtih the second choice surreal.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by