GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default well this is almost to funny. 10,000watts and a 350amp alt can do damage.

today i was testing some new 8inch mids and had the system at full tilt(150+db) and my voltage did a dead drop to 11.9vdc. my low voltage trigger shut the suburban down instantly. i popped the hood and seen something that i never expected. most people do 2or3 150-250amp alts. well i decided to do 1 350amp alt and be done with it. come to find out the stock chevy alt mount is not tough enough for a singer built 350amp alt lmao. im already mapping out specs for the new bracket system to build and between deer hunting and changing out dressing for my recent surgery this is going to be a fun weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1353.jpg  
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Wow! At least you find humor in it! The PITA is the fact that you have to pull the power steering pully and pump to change the bracket.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

SCORE
    -----
    Mudpuppy's audio system: 1
    GM: 0

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

OUCH!!!!!! Get in touch with Tom at Ohio Gen they have brackets for our trucks for 2-3 Alt if I remember right..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

currently the repair plan is going to be to keep the current broken mount. im going to shave the ears off and design a v mount to go inside of the dip with 3/8x2inch hardened steel. back supports for that with 1/8 plate and then construct 2 split mounts to hold the alt to the v-mount. this will give me a little over 12sqin of mounting surface and will allow for add on mounts in the future if the power demand grows requiring more alternators. this is also subject to the results of the ndi that ill conduct before hand to ensure the remaining bracket still has structural integrity. if all else fails i can either redesign an entire bracket system for the pump and alt or upgrade to an aftermarket mount.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Wow! At least you find humor in it! The PITA is the fact that you have to pull the power steering pully and pump to change the bracket.

as for the pulley, not an issue. i have a real nice puller for those. i custom crafted an all aluminum ps pulley for my tbird sc ps pump and got a real nice puller to remove the old 1. if it goes that far ill also upgrade all of the pulleys to 8rib. i have enough 8rib pulleys stocked up to convert a few systems. thats kinda what i want to do anyways. as you can see in the pic the water pump and tensioner pulleys have already been changed out with 8rib wide pulleys.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

here is a pic of the new alt bracket. the bracket itself is done but a still have 1 or maybe even 2 more support arms to build yet. if this bracket breaks then that means i fell off of a cliff or got hit by a train, just something extreme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1364.jpg  

I wish I could weld. I also wish I had the tools necessary to do bends and cuts in such materials.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I wish I could weld. I also wish I had the tools necessary to do bends and cuts in such materials.
    lmao no you dont. it took years of collecting tools, tons of money, countless hours and a medical record about 3inches thick from injuries to get to my point. feel lucky that your not a hard headed, boarder line ocd gear head like me.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I know what you mean. I can weld good enough to hold two pieces of metal together or weld a nut onto a broken bolt to get it out. I had a new lincoln arc welder that sat in my garage unused for 6 years. I sold it on CL to buy new golf clubs. I was able to use a wire feed, shears, and brakes at work when I needed.(I could bend a 3/8" bar stock on our hydraulic brake.) Now that I am a stay at home dad that option is gone. I have to say that at least one time a month I think to myself, "I wish I had that welder I sold". I have to take a few electives to finish my Mechanical Engineering degree, I may take welding just to improve my skills, I will be sure to kiss the instructors rear a little to ensure access to the welding equipment after the class ends.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    here is a pic of the new alt bracket. the bracket itself is done but a still have 1 or maybe even 2 more support arms to build yet. if this bracket breaks then that means i fell off of a cliff or got hit by a train, just something extreme.
    I love that statement.... Can't wait to see it mounted up.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door