GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Anyone considering the Mobile 1 0w-30

I just read an ad for the new mobile one advanced fuel economy 0w-30. They say that it meets or exceeds all requirements of 5w-30. What do you guys think about it?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I highly doubt that it meats of excedes the requirements of 5w-30
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    I highly doubt that it meats of excedes the requirements of 5w-30
    That is what they claim:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Qs.aspx#FAQs24

It is near the bottom of the page. Scroll all the way down. I tried to copy and paste it but, it would not work

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

you mean this.........
    If your car manufacturer recommends a SAE 5W-20 ILSAC oil (starburst), we recommend either Mobil 1 5W-20 or Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy will not void new-car warranties where an SAE 5W-20 oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy can provide better fuel economy and better low temperature performance compared to higher viscosity oils.

Well i still wouldnt believe what they say about it unless somebody does use it and likes it. If you dont know wheter to use it i would try it and after one oil change i would see if you like it and if you do use it, if you like it use the oil, if you dont dont use it.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

My truck recommends 5W-30, so that's what it gets. The newer Silverados (2011 and later) recommend that you use dexOS (semi-synthetic or full synthetic) from day one.

I have been running Mobil 1 0W30 for just over 2years now. I really like it. Honestly, I can't tell the difference but with it getting pretty cold here in the winter it suits me well. And I use a Wix filter. I am a big fan of all Mobil 1 fluids, as I start changing out fluids I plan on switching over to Mobil 1 in everything that it is available for.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

with my high millage tow history... i cant run anything lighter than 20W50 or i loose oil pressure at idle...
    may be a tired old engine but its never given me problems.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

My wifes new car will get Mobil 1 0w-20 (but thats what it calls for) when I start doing the changes (get free service for 1st 25k miles). But my other vehicles will still get 5w-30.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Former Member

Umm, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30...they are all a 30 weight at operating temperatures. I would expect a 0w30 to work in place of a 5w30...

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Umm, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30...they are all a 30 weight at operating temperatures. I would expect a 0w30 to work in place of a 5w30...
    Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! This is especially true with synthetics, which Mobil 1 is. The 30 is the weight of the oil... period. The 0w, 5w, 10w is the "winter" flow rating. If you get a synthetic 0w30, 5w30, or 10w30, they will all have the same viscosity, typically ballpark 11. Now it gets a little more complicated with conventional oils, in that they need to pile on viscosity improvers to play the 5w30 game, and they cannot even get into 0w30 territory. Another can of worms and another topic altogether.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.