GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Subs with the stock head unit?

I just purchased a 2012 Silverado last month.

I'm looking to add a sub (or two) to the stock stereo system... but I don't know if it's possible?
    I don't want to get rid of the stock system because it seems like so much goes through it and it would be more hassle than it's worth.. OnStar, USB, reconstructing the dash, and making it a target for thieves because there's a new stereo in the dash..

So what would be needed to add a sub-woofer to the factory head unit / system? Where can they plug into?
    2012 Silverado 1500
    2004 Silverado 1500 (SOLD): http://tinyurl.com/JRD761sTruck
    1977 Silverado C20:
    http://tinyurl.com/JRD761-1977-C20

All you need to add a sub to the factory system is the sub, amp, appropriate power wiring for the amp, and an adapter from PAC or Metra to integrate into the factory wiring and retain the OnStar and chime functions. I used this one from PAC, to install a sub in my previous 2004 Silverado. I don't know if it works with the 2012 trucks though, as the stereos are different. It should be easy to find one that does though.

I haven't done what you want to do but I understand your concern.

If your OEM system has no sub, I know that Audiocontrol makes one or more electronic crossovers or other signal processors that work from the amplifier outputs rather than pre-amp outputs. You can divide the signal that way and direct it to a dedicated sub amplifier.

Google or Bing "Audiocontrol". They are right here where I live (Seattle area) and the stuff is built here in the Northwest. Call them and discuss your situation and see what they can do for you.

You then will have to decide a location for the sub woofer and the amplifiers, and figure out if you need to build a custom sub enclosure to fit the space. There are aftermarket manufacturers who make sub enclosures that fit under the rear seat of extended cab pickups so you don't have to build one yourself or have someone do it. However, there are limits for the depth of the cabinet, and therefore if the subwoofer requires 6 or more inches of depth for a top mount, you will have to find a shallow mount option. Kicker makes a shallow mount sub woofer that only requires about 4.5 inches of depth for a top mount application.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

You should purchase a Line Out Converter (LOC). Just google it for a pic (having trouble linking one) It is a small box with wires on one end and plugs for RCA cables on the other. The box takes a signal from the rear speakers and converts it to send only bass signals to your amp.

The wires get tied into your rear speaker wires, the RCA wire will go from the LOC your amplifier for the subs.

The only thing to be careful of is if your truck has the bose stereo package you need to be sure to tap the rear speaker wires before they pass through the factory amp that would already be in your truck. (if applicable).

I have had my stereo set up like this for a while. I didn't want to lose the 6 disc, steering wheel controls, xm, etc that came with my factory stereo. I purchased my LOC from Best Buy for under $25.

This is really an easy install to do. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to send me a pm or just ask away here.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Could you just tie into the cables running to the Bose speaker?
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Depends on what you mean. You can get a line out converter and tie the inputs into the subwoofer wires coming out of the factory amp, then you run your RCA cables from the line out converter to your amplifier and then take power from your battery, remote wire from a dedicated accessory wire and then ground the amp to the body (not through a seat bolt, that's tacky and doesn't give you low enough impedance). That's the only way you can correctly hook into factory wiring to run an aftermarket sub. Well, not the only way but certainly the cheapest quickest way

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Depends on what you mean. You can get a line out converter and tie the inputs into the subwoofer wires coming out of the factory amp, then you run your RCA cables from the line out converter to your amplifier and then take power from your battery, remote wire from a dedicated accessory wire and then ground the amp to the body (not through a seat bolt, that's tacky and doesn't give you low enough impedance). That's the only way you can correctly hook into factory wiring to run an aftermarket sub. Well, not the only way but certainly the cheapest quickest way
    sorry I meant to say the Bose sub
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post

sorry I meant to say the Bose sub
    My answer remains the same...I figured you meant that btw

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    My answer remains the same...I figured you meant that btw
    Alright thanks. I had hi of buys do mine a few years back and they did not run it correctly even with a hi lo converter. I'm gunna fix it and throw my w7 back in
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    Alright thanks. I had hi of buys do mine a few years back and they did not run it correctly even with a hi lo converter. I'm gunna fix it and throw my w7 back in
    With a high end sub I suggest running a Rockford fosgate 360 or JL audio clean sweep. It's a high end, fully adjustable line out converter and audio processor.