GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 600hp turbo silverado build suggestions

I am planning on turning my 2004 chevy silverado 1500 ls 4.8l extended cab long bed into a 500-600hp beast. I was thinking of running a Precision PT6266 turbo or a PT6766 turbo with the 750hp universal intercooler, pw46 external wastegate, TiAl 50mm BOV, NLR AMS-500 boost controller, and possibly the Wilson 90mm throttle body. I would have custom piping bent and it would be a front mount turbo and i would change up the camshaft, injectors, etc. too. Of course i would upgrade my transmission with the monster 650hp rated upgrade kit for my 4l60e and would probably get a driveshaft out of a 2500 or somthing and mod it to fit. What do you guys think i should do differently?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Start with a 6.0....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

the 4.8l will easily make that much power with no problem, i forgot who did it but some company rebuilt a junkyard 4.8l with only replacing the camshaft and some other minor things and they made 40 1/4 mile passes with that engine making 1236hp on a engine stand dyno i believe and on the 40th pass something electronical messed up. I can't remember what it was but it was not because of the excess power. So the 4.8l should do just fine and i do not want to do a 6.0 swap if i dont have to.

You will want to upgrade your rearend, at those power levels the 10 Bolt won't last very long. The Vortec Max equiped trucks used the 9.5 in. semi-floating 14 Bolt, which will bolt right in.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Is it a 4 bolt main? I wouldn't run a lot of boost if it isn't. Not being a big fan of turbos and turbo lag have you looked into a compound set up. It's can give you a lot better torque curve. Make sure you take that driveshaft to get balanced if you have to cut it otherwise you drop that thing on the road. I'd beef up everything from the flywheel back
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    Is it a 4 bolt main?
    All Gen III/IV LSx series V8s are 6-bolt mains, and Y-blocks, which are significantly stronger than older SBC/Vortec engines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeablegoose View Post
    the 4.8l will easily make that much power with no problem, i forgot who did it but some company rebuilt a junkyard 4.8l with only replacing the camshaft and some other minor things and they made 40 1/4 mile passes with that engine making 1236hp on a engine stand dyno i believe and on the 40th pass something electronical messed up. I can't remember what it was but it was not because of the excess power. So the 4.8l should do just fine and i do not want to do a 6.0 swap if i dont have to.
    It was Hot Rod magazine. Here's the article:
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/
    Last edited by dobey; 12-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.

I am also looking at replicating hot rod magazines twin turbo build in the link, just to see what it does. I'm sure i would have fun with it!!! I wish i knew what exact turbo and fuel injectors they used i am interested in that, i might have to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeablegoose View Post
    I am also looking at replicating hot rod magazines twin turbo build in the link, just to see what it does. I'm sure i would have fun with it!!! I wish i knew what exact turbo and fuel injectors they used i am interested in that, i might have to ask them.
    It says "two 76MM turbos from CXracing," in the article, so I'd guess two of these:
    http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

That makes me almost rethinking a supercharger for my truck. I've always been against turbos and all roots style.

Should i do a twin turbo setup with those two 76mm turbo's from cxracing or a single bigger turbo such as the precision PT6766 or PT6266 thats rated to higher hp? The twin turbo will be harder to design and much more work but i think it would be worth it. The single turbo would probably have more lag but would only be running probably at about 8-10psi but would be alot simpiler and easier to maintain. What do you guys think and this build wont be taking place till probably summer 2013 so i have awhile to get the money to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

what years vortec max rear end will bolt right in? I'm sure i could find one in a junkyard with a nice rear end in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by