GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by
Results 11 to 20 of 72
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsvar200467 View Post
    without a doubt.

    just did a little test, let it sit for 2 hours in my drive way and went for a little drive. all was looking good good oil pressure no rpm ramping until about 10 mins of drive time then all problems came back. rough idle felt like stall with "lower" oil pressure
    I hate leaving a dealership and finding another issue! Is it that hard for them to test drive them after a repair? You would figure that the tech would get in and say "wow, the oil pressure looks low and the rpms jump all over, maybe I should report the issue and get approval to look into it." Not say "well, I did what the RO said, so it is done now", "Hey Jim come check this out, the rpms jump all over and the oil pressure is low, guess this truck will be back tomorrow."

    1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

    2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

  2. #12
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    what your saying happens all the time. you think that the tech is going to tell the service manager he created another issue ? that he will now have to spend more time to figure out another problem .

    that would cut his commision . its about volume not quality at most dealerships.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    what your saying happens all the time. you think that the tech is going to tell the service manager he created another issue ? that he will now have to spend more time to figure out another problem .

    that would cut his commision . its about volume not quality at most dealerships.
    I have been to some "good" dealerships that will fix another problem that occurs. This is the case especially if it is still under warranty. They just bill GM for repairing the new problem. In that case it does not eat into their profits, it actually builds them. About a year ago (before my dealership lost their good staff) I took my wife's car is for a bad wheel bearing (under warranty). The service adviser called me and said that the tech noticed that the driver's door lock actuator was sticking and that they need my ok to fix it. (under warranty) I had noticed the issue months before, just forgot about it when I took it in for the wheel bearing.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-05-2012 at 08:08 AM.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I have been to some "good" dealerships that will fix another problem that occurs. This is the case especially if it is still under warranty. They just bill GM for repairing the new problem. In that case it does not eat into their profits, it actually builds them. About a year ago (before my dealership lost their good staff) I took my wife's car is for a bad wheel bearing (under warranty). The service adviser called me and said that the tech noticed that the driver's door lock actuator was sticking and that they need my ok to fix it. (under warranty) I had noticed the issue months before, just forgot about it when I took it in for the wheel bearing.
    took it back in this morning. made the service writer and tech sit in vehicle with me to feel and see exactly the issue i was talking about. i didnt want there to be any "i didnt notice anything" issues.

    btw when i picked my truck up last night there was a apraisal report wanting me to trade it in. lol i should call and entertain the thought maybe see if i can work a deal.

  5. #15

    Default

    If you do decide to trade it in be sure to shop around. I just traded my wife's torrent in and the trade in price between dealers was significant. I ended up getting the best price for the new vehicle at one dealer. Then went to another dealer and asked them to match that price and give me a value for the trade. They gave me $1000 more than the other dealer.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    If you do decide to trade it in be sure to shop around. I just traded my wife's torrent in and the trade in price between dealers was significant. I ended up getting the best price for the new vehicle at one dealer. Then went to another dealer and asked them to match that price and give me a value for the trade. They gave me $1000 more than the other dealer.
    so the rough idle was being cause by a fouled no 1 cylinder plug that wasnt pinging a code.

    so so far ive fouled cylinder 7 and cylinder 1 which odly enough are the inactive cylinders in v 4 mode. hmmm

  7. #17

  8. #18

    Default

    they didnt say. but its back to normal right now and i drove it around for about 30 minutes. so....

  9. #19
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    I agree with what your saying if the problem is a manufacturing defect etc.

    when I said he created another issue , I was saying he damaged the vehicle.

    I have had these issues occur to me over the years. bring it in for warrantee work for one thing get it back and they broke something else or put dents in the vehicle.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was reading reports that the heads have been changed on some of these afm 5.3L engines because of problems of plug fouling due to the AFM . also other work in the engine to reduce oil useage . hard to get the details . dealerships not talking .

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    I agree with what your saying if the problem is a manufacturing defect etc.

    when I said he created another issue , I was saying he damaged the vehicle.

    I have had these issues occur to me over the years. bring it in for warrantee work for one thing get it back and they broke something else or put dents in the vehicle.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I was reading reports that the heads have been changed on some of these afm 5.3L engines because of problems of plug fouling due to the AFM . also other work in the engine to reduce oil useage . hard to get the details . dealerships not talking .
    Damn sure would be nice to find a tsb on that jcat. Although my dealership already told me in a thousand miles they will go ahead and do the piston and ring swap.

    Was also thinking of changing all plugs so I could gauge how much oil is depositing on each one.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last: 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
  2. Oil consumption 07 5.3
    By Farmerdave in forum Chevy Truck Talk & GM News
    Replies: 11
    Last: 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
  3. 5.3L, 6.0L, 8.1L oil consumption
    By Marcus in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 14
    Last: 06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
  4. Common causes of oil consumption
    By 1st Synthetics in forum 1st Synthetics
    Replies: 3
    Last: 06-10-2009, 08:44 PM
  5. Oil consumption
    By jamesscabetjr in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last: 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •