GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bolt-on parts to increase power

I have a 97 silverado, looking to get a little more power and efficiency out of the 350. I already have custom dual exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and a so far unnoticed power programmer. Any suggestions or pointers would be nice. The truck is lifted and I get around 12 MPG, although I know I shouldn't look for mpgs and lift in the same thing, help would be nice! Thanks
    '97 silverado, 6" suspension lift, 35x12.50x17s, K&N cold air intake, Hypertech power programmer, dual exhaust with Flowmaster super 44s

There are no "bolt-on" modifications that will give you any REAL gain. You can easily spend thousands of dollars on "snake oil" magical power parts and get marginal results at best. Save your money and buy a supercharger.

What size tires are you running? Have you considered re-gearing? That will be the best bang for your buck.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

well its a daily driver and supercharger is a little out of the price range! ha but im running 35s
    '97 silverado, 6" suspension lift, 35x12.50x17s, K&N cold air intake, Hypertech power programmer, dual exhaust with Flowmaster super 44s

When ever you increase the diameter of the tires, you change the effective gear ratio, you have made it more difficult for the engine to turn the wheels.

If you go back to factory tires, you will find the missing power.

I know factory tires and lift should not be used in the same sentence, haha; so, as @moogvo suggested a sear set change that recreate the original ratio would be the fix.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Anything to make it breath better such as intake, headers, exhaust will increase horse power. Be aware that any major mods will require you to reprogram the ECM to get the full benefit. I have a cold air intake, American racing headers, Corsa sport exhaust, diablo trinity tuner and a custom tune by diablew tune. I'll tell you what there is a night and day difference over stock... Keep in mind that all this comes at a price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    Anything to make it breath better such as intake, headers, exhaust will increase horse power. Be aware that any major mods will require you to reprogram the ECM to get the full benefit. I have a cold air intake, American racing headers, Corsa sport exhaust, diablo trinity tuner and a custom tune by diablew tune. I'll tell you what there is a night and day difference over stock... Keep in mind that all this comes at a price.
    Sorry one of those days... I see you have already done what I had just suggested. One more thing you can try is upgrading your fuel injectors... I know there is a performance replacement for the 97... We are looking at doing it on my sons... Other than that it would be changing the gears.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Underdrive pulleys woke up my 1993 5.7 look on ebay they have good prices it did much better than my chip.

Like they stated above if you haven't regeared, no bolt on part will give you the gains you seek. Most trucks like yours came with either 3.42s or 3.73s, neither are low enough for 35s. Large tires and to high of gears not only kill performance and mileage, but will also strain the motor and tranny causing premature failure. You should look into at least running 4.10s or preferably 4.56s.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

True you need to regear it 4.56 sounds best that's what my friend did and it helped or got it back to stock. When my buddy put small tires did his Burb have some get up so really he was just wanting it to get back to stock but the 35" tires are heavy as well.

What about a 'Throttle Body Spacer' They claim a small bump in HP but even with a anemic 30 LBS in torque, I would think it was worth the $100.00 for a quality throttle body spacer ? I'm planning installing one on my 1990 305 TBI Silverado.

I should mention that I have done a full tune-up Plugs, wires and the so on. I put a K&N cold air intake doing away with the stock air cleaner, And I installed a rebuild and matched set of Thorttle body injectors and they do make the truck feel a little more peppy.

But I was wondering about this TBS as it doesn't claim to give you huge power increase, it does say you might get about 10HP and 30 pounds of tourqe and a slightly better MPG. It says it only turns the intake volume and spins it so as to produce a better mixture
    Last edited by JTward1; 12-30-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    There are no "bolt-on" modifications that will give you any REAL gain. You can easily spend thousands of dollars on "snake oil" magical power parts and get marginal results at best. Save your money and buy a supercharger.

What size tires are you running? Have you considered re-gearing? That will be the best bang for your buck.
    I'll second this advice. I have owned cars/trucks for a lot of years, done lots of things to them. Take it from a veteran of the auto world, the only way you get real power increases is by doing internal engine modifications. The spacers, exhaust, intakes, that stuff is like putting lipstick on your truck. Any "gains" in power from these is minimal at best.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast