GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Growling Noise 02 1500 HD

I started my truck up the other day and I heard this hideous growling noise from under the hood. It sounded like something was dry, made the growling sound (or something to that nature) and gradually went away. The truck was at idle and I had driven it just about an hour before. The sound was only a couple seconds long, like I stated before it sounded like something was dry and when it "oiled up" it stopped. I am more familiar with Fords then GMs, and am not too familiar with the "common" ins and outs of these trucks. When I heard it I was standing outside the truck. Kind of puzzling. By chance could the oil pump make this type of sound dry? I do have good oil pressure, so the gauge says.

The only other issue with the motor is it seems to idle a little shakey (my buddy has one and his idles smooth with similar miles) and I have a lifter making a slight tick on the passenger side. No check engine lights and no misses while driving.
    My Ford will destroy my Chevy, but my old Chevy was bought so I don't destroy my Ford.

Did you check for a dog under the hood?

1995 Chevy Silverado
    Fully loaded!!!
    4Wheel Drive
    5.7 Liter
    Blue
    Best Engine In The World!!!!!
    Once i had a nearly dead battery and was only able to get 1 slow crank per attempt, Once to the fifth crank she fired up! (True Story)

That is a good one, I was waiting till someone made a funny.
    I guess "growling" is probably not the best way to describe it. It is kind of like opening a creaky door. I have only heard it that once.
    My Ford will destroy my Chevy, but my old Chevy was bought so I don't destroy my Ford.

Did you solve this problem? My 98 Silverado makes a noise at cold start. I've replace the idler and tensioner. Thinking about replacing the fan clutch next. Alternator and water pump have been replaced. So has the belt. What's left?

Was there a ford parked next to you...)). This is a tough one... Maybe the power steering pump or alternator bearing could be starting to setup. I've never had the fan clutch fail before so do not know what that would sound like.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Are there any missing dogs in the neighborhood? ;>)
    A ticking lifter and a shakey idle would make me take a second look at some internal stuff. Electric gages do not react to pressure changes rapidly enough. (I learned this the hard way by the oil pump pickup starving going around corners as the oil swashed away from the pickup and it did not register as a problem on the gage as the pressure returned on the straights. A proper bigger windage tray solved that.)
    But, there may be some debris or sludge making the lifter stick?
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71