GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Why change shift points/shift firmness??

What's the advantage to changing the shift points/firmness? I'm getting ready to buy the hypertech max energy programmer and I know you can adjust those too, but being a non-techy, I don't know why'd I want to do it.
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter

Blog Entries

I copied this from the Hypertech wbsite so I hope this helps.

In addition to controlling engine functions such as air/fuel mixture, spark timing, and maximum rpm, these highly evolved ECUs also regulate transmission shift points and firmness, limit top speed, and display speedometer and odometer readings. Hypertech engineers were able to use these capabilities to provide additional features for enthusiasts. The Power Programmer is much more than a tuning chip * it is a self-contained automotive tuning computer. The Power Programmer automatically installs the powerful Hypertech tuning program. It also allows enthusiasts to access and reprogram the vehicle’s computer to function properly with aftermarket components such as non-stock wheels, tires, and rearend ratios. A Hypertech Power Programmer is really the most powerful and versatile tool a performance enthusiast can own!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_in_usaf View Post
    What's the advantage to changing the shift points/firmness? I'm getting ready to buy the hypertech max energy programmer and I know you can adjust those too, but being a non-techy, I don't know why'd I want to do it.
    The shift points can be changed to increase performance by extending the shift points out a little further. On many GM trucks the 1-2 shift is 5400 RPM and the 2-3 at 5200. Taking them out to 5500 to 5600 RPM can really help the truck pull thru the top end a little better and end up in a nice part of the torque curve after the shift has completed. On the shift firmness, this is done to improve the quickness and feel of the shifts to provide a better feeling shift and actually reduce tranny wear by creating less heat and friction that you would have with a longer drawn out shift. Also, the downshifts can be made much more agressive so you don't get that dead feeling when you pull out to pass someone and kick it down and get that 3-4 seconds of delayed reaction and then the sudden downshift when it almost seems too late.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    I copied this from the Hypertech wbsite so I hope this helps.

In addition to controlling engine functions such as air/fuel mixture, spark timing, and maximum rpm, these highly evolved ECUs also regulate transmission shift points and firmness, limit top speed, and display speedometer and odometer readings. Hypertech engineers were able to use these capabilities to provide additional features for enthusiasts. The Power Programmer is much more than a tuning chip * it is a self-contained automotive tuning computer. The Power Programmer automatically installs the powerful Hypertech tuning program. It also allows enthusiasts to access and reprogram the vehicle’s computer to function properly with aftermarket components such as non-stock wheels, tires, and rearend ratios. A Hypertech Power Programmer is really the most powerful and versatile tool a performance enthusiast can own!
    Before the advent of the electronic trans everything was controlled via the valve body and tweaks to it.

I used to own a Pont. Ventura 350 cu. in., auto, limited slip rear, Holley 650 spread bore, dual exhausts.

While the car was no slouch it needed a little more oomph!

I installed a Trans-Go semi automatic shift kit in the valve body.

(Only difference between then & now is My mods were mechanical and now you can do the same thing electronically)

Before during normal driving there was a slow easy overlap between all the gears. Hard acceleration only made a slight difference.

After the installation it was like night & day.

Normal driving there was not much difference felt.

Once you floored it you thought someone put a different engine/trans in.

On full acceleration every shift was like I had a manual trans and was banging the gears. The shifts were solid and the tires would even break loose a sec.

I surprised many a car on Telegraph Rd. & Woodward Ave. when I'd floor it from 30 get the tires to squawk all the way through the gears with both hands on the wheel.

You'll get a better performing ride and even reduce heat build-up from shifting.

Thanks for the info guys!!!
    Andrew
    Grand Forks AFB, ND

2001 Chevy Suburban LT K1500 V8 5.3L 4x4
    - 16" Goodyear Wrangler Fortera tires
    - K&N air filter