GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Unhappy Chevy Silverado suddenly not working. Help!

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums but I was hoping I could get some help or maybe some ideas on what could be the potential problem to my truck.

My 2007 Chevy Classic 1500 Silverado suddenly stopped working last night and for the life of me, my neighbor and I couldn't find the problem.

Before I take it to a mechanic to look at, I was hoping I could fix it myself. We've tried several steps and none of them worked, so we're border lined stumped.

So here's what happens and what we've done. I'll try to explain it as best as possible since I only observed what my neighbor did and since I'm not so familiar with truck parts.

When attempting to start the Truck, it just chugs. It feels like it's always so close to starting, but something is holding it back.

Here's what we've tried.
    • Checked the battery. Found out it had 79% charge, charged it back to 100% just to be sure. No difference.
    • Checked the sparkplugs. They're less than a year old so we ruled that out.
    • Checked the fuseboxes. He couldn't see a problem there.
    • Checked the oil pump. He sprayed some kind of stuff into an opening and explained that if the truck turns on with this, it's something wrong with the fuel pump, tried it a few times and nothing gave.
    • Tried jump starting the truck twice, nothing.
    • Checked for loose wires, nothing.
    • Belt of the engine looks fine and alternator( I think it's called that...)look fine.
    • Gas was put into the truck days ago, he explained sometimes gas has water in it and that could cause it, but since gas was put in 4+ days ago, it should have happened sooner, so he ruled that out.

So in conclusion, has anyone had a similar problem like this before? Is it something so small we're completely overlooking it? Do you think it could be an error code?

I would appreciate any and all help.

PS: About 9 months ago, a similar problem happened to the Truck as well. Upon taking it to a mechanic, I believe he explained that a "valve cover" was the issue. At least I hope that's what he said, because it's all very vague to me. If this is something that could also cause it, please let me know as well.

Thank you all in advance!

Legend

measure the fuel pressure. get the correct spec pressure for your engine, start there.

spraying starter fluid is not a good idea unless your an expert with this powerful chemical.

if the pressure is good check for spark to a plug.

check for any DTC computer codes .

a bad fuel pump will not show any codes . must use the fuel pressure test.

crank for 10 sec max then wait 5 min to crank again for 10 sec.

keep charger on battery to reduce loss of charge.

key on engine off no cranking to test fuel pressure.

any aftermarket antithieft must be removed.

Sr. Apprentice

Get in the truck and turn the key to the "on" position, not trying to crank it over, and listen and observe whether the fuel pump runs through it's initial pressure up cycle.There should be about a 2 to 3 second 'whirring' sound.
    2012 silver ice metallic Silverado CC 4X4 /6.2L / 373/9.5" rear max trailering package/ 18" Z71 rims with 285/65/18 BFG TA/KO Ebony leather interior / 2011 grill insert with black mesh/rear fender liners and bed rail protectors/ Z71 skid plates/GM bed mat/2" billet aluminum under strut front leveling kit

Sounds like your neighbor tried starting fluid in the intake, if it didnt fire for at least a few seconds you probably have a problem with the ignition vice the fuel or air delivery systems.
    The next step would be to see if the plugs are firing when the engine turns over, if thats not happening you'll need to work your way through the ignition system testing to see whats not providing power.

really hard to identify as the newer vehicles are more complicated. If you have fuel pressure, doublecheck the timing... next check rigor and cap. I had a similar issue years ago and it ended up being th command control module.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.