GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Question INQUIRY: HID Converstion KIT for 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT

Hello All,

I was just wondering if anyone can advise on whether the following brand of HID Conversion Kit is adequate or correct for my Tahoe.

I'm not familiar with the amount of Watts my truck wiring harness can handle and since I have not done any sort of lighting work before, I am a bit lost. (Google can only teach so much)

Anyway here is the kit found in Ebay of course

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9145-Xenon-L...81e6e3&vxp=mtr

Also will I need a relay and canceller for my truck? such as this:

http://www.hidautovision.com/anti-fl...ning-cancelor/

Please advise and thank you in advance
    AC - Nevada
    2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.3LV8 (Purely stock)

Go to this site for all your HID needs. They even have instructions on how to hook everything up. I do suggest doing an actual retrofit with HID projectors and relay harness, ballasts and so on. (no I am not promoting their site for any sort of gain but they do have quality stuff and lots of people swear by them)

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

2k8 has given you perhaps the very best source for HID conversions done correctly, do you need to retrofit the kits? No, is it a dang good idea? Absolutely!! Basically what 2k8 is suggesting is going beyond just installing a plug-n-play kit with bulbs and actually resigning your existing lighting housing to accurately reflect light output from HIDs.

To answer Acouple of your questions, if your Tahoe is the new body style 99 or newer then yes, you do need a relay kit. Our trucks have what's called multiplexed lighting circuits. What this means is, our lighting circuits do more then just control one thing (headlights) in fact, that one circuit controls ALL of your lighting up front. How it does this is simple, when you flip your high beams on, the resistance in the circuit changes and triggers your high beams. That is the simplest way of explaining multiplexed systems. Essentially it was just a way for GM engineers to simplify the electrical systems in our trucks.

The reason you need the relay harness is to isolate "true power" or "apparent power". If you put a meter on your headlight circuit you would get somethin like 7.8volts, well HID ballasts WANT 14volts input power, not 7 and some change. The relay takes the signal from your headlight circuit and boosts it to 14.4 (rough idle voltage) which allows the ballasts to not work as hard trying to make up for that missing voltage. Relays also isolate your truck circuit from the equation thus protecting your factory circuits from overheating due to what's called "inrush current" or "start up current". Relays secondary job is to essentially act like a more expensive diode (which blocks current in one direction).

In short, any quality kit will work, use a relay, look into retrofitting your housings. I suggest Longshot lighting, I'm currently testing a kit right now and so far I am pleased, I live in Alaska and the kit has survived temps close to -45 degrees so far, that's a good sign.