GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default best programmer?

Hi brand new to the forum! i was wondering what are some of the best programmers for a 2000 silverado 5.3? are the hypertech power programmer 3's any good?

yeah i have one, well worth it

Andrew
    2006 gmc sierra, 4.8l, gibson headers, flowmasters exhaust, hypertech power programmer,4.10 gears, 3 inch rough country suspension lift w/ 285/70/17 cooper disoverer stt's, tinted windows, westin grill gaurd, herculiner bedliner, black fender flares, HID headlights,black painted front bumper

so you could tell a difference? if so how much?

Hi,
    While the Hypertech units are handy with the handheld units, custom tuning can be less expensive and more effective. We can run more agressive timing tables, remove/reduce torque management, and make part throttle adjustments that will be even more benificial for mileage and part throttle response than a handheld unit since each tune is custom designed to your vehicle's specs. We can do all the normal things like bump up the top speed limiter, firm up the shifts, get good gains in HP as well. We are a sponsoring vendor and you can find us at www.pcmforless.com If you have any questions or need more details feel free to give us a call.
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Legend

I've got the new Hypertech Max Energy Programmer and I love it. I had to admit that custom tuning is the way to go if you can get it. You see the most gains across the board with custom tuning. Also edge makes a great product. They have 3 different power settings including a tow mode. I'd start by checking some websites like stylintrucks and some others to do a little research. If you have any more questions just let us know.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Hand helds are nice but to get a really good tune if you are computer knowledge and a lap top, HP Tuners is best. expensive but if you get a couple of buddys together you can cut the cost down.

I have the Diablo Predator and it is fine...I needed something to adjust for the oversize tire to get the speedo straightened out and it worked for that. I do like the firmer shifts, and withthe 87 octane tune I may have got back most of thepower I lost by going to a larger tire.

MPG = the exact same....overall power = same before the tire change.

I wnet with the hand held over the custom tune because I do a lot of towing and I tend to want or need to change setting occassionally....cannot do that with a custom tune. If I was pulling a 10000 pouont rv, I would go with a custom tune as most folks attest to the fact they offer better perforance.

The handheld units are fine, but they are generally somewhat universal....like buying a universal muffler hanger. It works ok for most trucks, but not really great for any...ha

I posted a similar thread yesterday about Programmers vs. Programmers. Anyway, try looking up SUPER CHIP or HYPERTECH programmers. They will allow you to adjust your speedo for your tires as well as give you other improvements (im assuming). I'm trying to figure out which one would be best myself.