GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Stupid Question Time...

What is the difference between a Chevvy and a GMC Suburban? ( apart from the badges and the steering wheel emblem )

I've been looking at buying a 1995 / 96 GMC as opposed to Chevvy, don't know why really, just like the idea of a GMC as I think they tend to have a slightly superior reputation - that is not based on anything other than my own subjectivity so quite happy to be proven wrong.

I put a wanted ad out as I was struggling to find a decent quality one that wasn't over priced. Had an email from a prospective seller who has a 95 Chevvy K2500 for sale - what are the main differences between the two if any? The only ones I can noticeably spot ( from looking at online pics ) are :

* GMC tend to go for two tone paint work for that year whereas Chevvy tend to do one colour.
    * Interior - front bench - seems to be slightly different, with a bigger centre console on the Chevvy.

I'm assuming everything else is pretty much identical? Cheers.

Sr. Engineer

Hi, There are no major differences. Buy the one that you can get the best deal on. 95 had throttle body injection and 96 was first year for Vortec.

Cheers, that's what I was hoping to hear.

If I had a choice, I would go with a 96 or newer. I like the vortec motor

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Like they said above, other then cosmetic differences (grille and badges), the trucks are identical. They're even built on the same assembly line. I'd definitely look for a 96 or newer with the Vortec 350. The Vortec made 45 more horse power and 30 lb ft of torque over the older TBI engines, and a heavy Suburban needs all the power it can get.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

See, now I would have advised you to get a '95. It has the nice plastic mirrors and newer grille found on the '94, but also has the newer interior minus the passenger airbag and is NOT OBDII!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    See, now I would have advised you to get a '95. It has the nice plastic mirrors and newer grille found on the '94, but also has the newer interior minus the passenger airbag and is NOT OBDII!
    I did not even think about the passenger air bag. I do like the dash of the 95 more due to not having the air bag. That being said, the power the vortec has me sells me on the 96. My sister had a 96 tahoe with the vortec and same gear ratio of my 1995 truck. That thing would smoke my truck off the line and got better mpg. The OBDII has more custom tuning options then the OBDI. With obdI you only have the choice of a chip. I also had issues with obd I when it came to changing tire size. Not a lot of companies make the VSSB module/chip needed to correct the speedo and trans shift points when installing a larger tire. With OBDII you can simply change it with a programmer.

The 96 didn't have a pass air bag and gets better mpg, has easier diagnostics, have the amazingly powerful Vortec 5.7L, and is related to the 1996 Truck of the Year: Tahoe.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I did not even think about the passenger air bag. I do like the dash of the 95 more due to not having the air bag. That being said, the power the vortec has me sells me on the 96. The OBDII has more custom tuning options then the OBDI. With obdI you only have the choice of a chip. I also had issues with obd I when it came to changing tire size. Not a lot of companies make the VSSB module/chip needed to correct the speedo and trans shift points when installing a larger tire. With OBDII you can simply change it with a programmer.
    I modified my speed module with dip switches. I can set the speedo for almost any tire size now by flipping a couple of switches inside the module.

I forget that we are not all in NC, and so inspection laws don't apply to all of us. I chose a V6/5 Speed '95 so I could put whatever engine I wanted in and still pass my state's inspection. I am eyeballing a small block 400 to punch out to a 427... Power issues solved! Heh heh...

I have also considered dropping a 454 in... Just waiting on the right donor vehicle at the right price on CL... It will come!

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    The 96 didn't have a pass air bag and gets better mpg, has easier diagnostics, have the amazingly powerful Vortec 5.7L, and is related to the 1996 Truck of the Year: Tahoe.
    I stand corrected Mr.Rose. I was thinking of my parents 97 tahoe