GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to beat a laser speeding ticket

http://www.danielcurran.com/2004/03/...ing-ticket.php

A laser gun is the latest speed enforcement gadget. Cops like these because they shoot a narrow beam of light, not the wider beam that can cause radar guns to take in two or more cars at once.

Does that mean you can't challenge laser? Nope. Here's how to do it.

The pin-point laser beam bounces off the car and returns to the laser gun. The time it takes to travel from the car to the gun is measured and your speed is calculated.But what if the officer moves the gun, even a little bit, while your speed is being measured? If the beam moves from the door to the front bumper that decrease in distance will shorten the time it takes the beam to return to the gun and that will increase your laser tagged speed.

Attacking the laser tagged ticket:

Ask the officer for the name of the gun manufacturer. Call and get performance info.
    Request laser maintenance records from the cops.
    Then, in court, focus on the officer's aim. Weather, traffic, road conditions. All can effect his ability to target the exact same point on your car.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Blog Entries

That's pretty interesting.
    A good friend of mine is a Sherriff's Deputy in the Portland, Oregon area and I went on a ride along with him last fall. After his reuglar shift we were to patrol a stretch of the Interstate that was a construction zone. From one overpass in particular we kept nailing people going over 70 in the 50mph constuction zone. He let me target several cars with his lazer gun and it was pretty pretty cut and dry when you had a lock on vehicles because of the beeping tone while accuiring and then to solid when it was locked on the vehicle you were aiming at. We issued several tickets that night.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I think that laser, if it's calibrated properly, works in theory.

However, when changing lanes it throws everything out of whack becuase the laser gun can't acount for angular velocity. That is, I was moving forward and sideways at the same time, thereby shortening the wavelength going back to the receiving unit and giving a higher reading which is in excess of actual speed.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Default I don't think that's correct

The whole "is the gun calibrated" and "How much training did the officer have with the gun" is no longer allowed in court by the judge, trust me, I tried. I did however beat my ticket ( in California) by providing information that disproved the claim of an officer.

For starters, a gun must be pointed directly at the object in question. The object must be within a clear visible angle, and there must not be obstructions. A gun must be aimed directly at the object. A gun can work up to a mile away. So get information about the road you are on. In my case the road was a hilly, curvy, winding path, in which a cop could never have gotten a direct aim any more than 300 yards away. Given that the officer is no longer allowed to issue a speeding ticket based on the claim "it looked to me that he was speeding", he must now have evidence through a speeding gun, the officer couldn't have been more than 300 yards away from me before initiating the radar gun on my vehicle.

Obviously any vehicle is visible within 300 yards away, and especially a police vehicle. The officer claimed I was going 80 mph. In order for him to be near enough to me to calculate that speed, he would have had to been going similar, or faster than I was. Given the condition of the road, it would have been impossible for him to have been going faster than 80 (believe me, it is a terrible road), and he would still have had to been near enough to me to use the gun.

He claimed to have seen me 3 miles away, and sped up to catch up to me. impossible for the radar gun to see me, impossible for him to catch up to me within the 5 miles distance I traveled from where he stopped me and where he claimed to have seen me (given his speed of excess of 100+ mph he claimed to have been going) And he was unclear as to the condition of the weather that day (it was a slight drizzle). needless to say, I won the case, he was mad, but hey I proved him wrong. Cops exagerate alot in court. It's your job to disprove them by catching them in a lie.
    Last edited by Steve; 02-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Has anyone heard of Rocky Mountain Radar . They have a radar gun that is suppose to block the signalof radar and laser guns. Now the big ? is does it do what they say or just saying it does.

I have heard of devices that claim to be able to track laser guns, but I don't know how that's possible ... seriously. The laser is a 3 to 4 foot wide beam of light energy, I'm not sure how they can pick that up. It would be like picking up the light from your refridgerator and not picking up the light from your oven. Unless there is a special wavelength range that all laser guns reside in ... that's possible I suppose.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Master Mechanic

easiest way to beat any ticket........ have donuts in the car at all times
    Jeff

1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4 door ht ~ resto project
    1984 Buick Le Sabre 4 door sedan~daily driver

BUY ONLY GENUINE ACME PRODUCTS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I have heard of devices that claim to be able to track laser guns, but I don't know how that's possible ... seriously. The laser is a 3 to 4 foot wide beam of light energy, I'm not sure how they can pick that up. It would be like picking up the light from your refridgerator and not picking up the light from your oven. Unless there is a special wavelength range that all laser guns reside in ... that's possible I suppose.
    There are radare detectors that can detect laser radar systems, and some can even confuse/jam them. Laser radar or LIDAR resides is a certain light band, I believe it's infrared but I'm not sure. However, all this is pretty useless in application because of the whole method that you have to use to operated a laser gun. The officer would have you targeted in the "scope", so he knows exactly who to blame...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Engineer
    Blog Entries

most lazer beams are less than a 1/4 in diameter and the same size the entire length of the beam, they do not grow.

Disclamer, unless all the lazer pointers I use are not the same.
    2009 Chevy Sliverado Std cab 5.3, 4 speed Auto 2wd, Trifecta Tuned
    1926 Model T Bucket powered by Chevy LS 5.3 TH350 and S-10 rear axle Build period Sept 7, 2010 to April 2011
    1979 Starcraft Islander 221 Great Lakes Fishing Boat
    SOLD: 2006 Chevy HHR The Deer Slayer.

From what I have read, the laser waves that come out of a laser gun do so at a fraction of one degree, so the light will spead out over distance. It's not the same as a laser pointer device ... but even that will spread out over something crazy like 10 miles.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast