GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default "Clunk" somewhere

I've got a '96 Z71 pickup that has a somewhat misterious clunk when I let off the throttle and then get back into it. The most noticable time is when going over a large hump such as a bridge or railroad crossing. I let off to slow down and the accelerate off of it. This occurs at low speeds, it's not like I'm hard into the throttle. The clunk sounds mid-to-rear of the truck so I originally thought U joints, but nothing seems to have any play in it as far as the U-joints go. There is a little play on either end of the driveshaft but not in the actual U joint. Should it have a little play? suggestions?... Thanks

spare tire tight?
    Jay :happy: Waxhaw, N.C.
    70 Chevy C-10 Stepside from 86 lowered 2" front 3" back, 383ci/350hp. elec. seats,functioning cowl, wood bed, hidden hitch, hidden tach, long headers, duel 3" exhaust. perform int., semi-aggressive cam (no specs.)
    69 Chevy C-10 Fleetside 350 ci 3spd. mild cam, 270hp,stock.duel 2.5" exhaust. Lowered 2" made own blocks

89 Ski Marlin Boat 350 ci:party: pulling machine. 7 skiiers.

Do you have a slip yoke in the driveshaft? Those can clunk.

Have you checked shocks, springs, sway bars, etc. as far as suspension goes?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Yeah, spare tire is tight, but no I haven't investigated into suspension. I will tohugh, thanks

Pack your slip yoke with grease and put some on the splines. What happens is they get dry sometimes and will clunk when the yoke moves in and out. Remember the end of the slip yoke has a little hole in it, so it can get a little dirty and rusty in there. Slip yokes on driveshafts with lube fittings will push grease out this hole. Worked like a champ on my daughters 92 Blazer. I thought her ball joints were bad, or a loose u bolt, or the rear slip yoke bushing might be worn. My transmission guy told me about this one. Saved me some money!