GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice
    Blog Entries

Default Intermittent starting problems

I can go out after my truck has been sitting for a while and it will start right up have lots of power,but if I shut it off and try to start it again it just cranks and cranks.2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4.8V8PS I can drive it anywhere after starting 20.50,100,miles but as soon as I try to start same thing.any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? I have heard of "tired" pumps acting like you have described.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I agree with Pikey. I have a 2000 GMC Yukon and a 2001 Silverado 2500HD. Both of them have done this at the same mileage. When you have the problem, try to crank it a second or so with each key turn. Typically on the third, sometimes forth, try it will start right up. You have low fuel pressure (you can have this checked and verified if you want). You need a new fuel pump (good idea to switch out the WHOLE assembly - your next issue will be fuel gauge will stop working) which is located in the top of the fuel tank. You can drive it like this for a while, BUT you are actually using more fuel and at anytime the truck will just stop...during a rainstorm...in the middle of the night...next to an old insane asylum...with spooky music in the background.

If you put your foot on the gas peddle just a little, will it start? My wife's torrent was doing the same thing. It turned out that the throttle body was warped.

Jr. Apprentice
    Blog Entries

I disabled the remote start last week and now it starts and runs fine,thanks for all the ideas.I have talked to other people that have had the same problem,this has come from mostly aftermarket units,viper,astro,mostly I have the astro and I really don't need it.My boss has a viper on his 2004 silverado and he had to have it reprogammed.I'm hoping this is the problem,but when it gets a little warmer out -5 here today no heated garage One of my co-workers is going to bring me a fuel pressure tester so we can check it.