GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

i fixed my coolant leak, it turned out that the heater hose clamps was not on tight, so it seeped through the side of the engine. that's where my leak we coming from.

Default Mysterious Coolant Leak

I have the same truck and the same problem I also do not have any leaks on the driveway and I cannot determine where the coolant is going. I just changed my oil this weekend and the oil was the normal black color so like you, not really pointing to a head gasket problem.

I have not had the system pressure checked, but I want to do some inspecting of the surge tank and the hose to it like TBPLUS10 spoke about in that post.

I only have to add a couple of 16 oz cups of antifreeze every couple months so it's a small leak but something is not right!! I just cannot pinpoint the source of the leak.

If I find anything I will share it.

Marathon Man (Chicago Marathon in Oct!)

Angry Found the problem!!!

Alright, just got the news I did not want to hear about my truck. I had a really loud lifter knock recently and I took it to the mechanic to get the lifters replaced. When he cracked the valve cover, he immediately knew what the problem was. I blew a head gasket on my truck. All the signs were not there for a blown head gasket (heater worked, oil was not milky). But when he got into the lifter valley, the oil was a complete emulsion. A couple of years ago, my truck overheated for approximately 10 minutes or less due to a clogged radiator. It was that minor overheat that blew the head gasket. Mechanic told me that with the aluminum heads, they are very prone to head gasket failures with any excessive heat. So, now I am having a head gasket replaced, and heads reconditioned. After this, the coolant leak will disappear,and lifter noise will also disappear. Wish it was not so, but at least I found the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal_truck22 View Post
    Alright, just got the news I did not want to hear about my truck. I had a really loud lifter knock recently and I took it to the mechanic to get the lifters replaced. When he cracked the valve cover, he immediately knew what the problem was. I blew a head gasket on my truck. All the signs were not there for a blown head gasket (heater worked, oil was not milky). But when he got into the lifter valley, the oil was a complete emulsion. A couple of years ago, my truck overheated for approximately 10 minutes or less due to a clogged radiator. It was that minor overheat that blew the head gasket. Mechanic told me that with the aluminum heads, they are very prone to head gasket failures with any excessive heat. So, now I am having a head gasket replaced, and heads reconditioned. After this, the coolant leak will disappear,and lifter noise will also disappear. Wish it was not so, but at least I found the problem.

Well glad you found the problem, if any of these trucks were 4.3 v6s than i coulda explained to you exactly what was wrong with the coolant, but the v8s are usually good with coolant leaks. now i know and so do many other concerned truck owners.

Default mysterious slow lose of coolant for months.

I have a 97 Suburban and it has been needing coolant every so often. But today I finally found the problem the hard way... heater didn't work on the way to work this morning and on the way back home I lost almost all my coolant. After filling it back up on side of road, I found a steady leak. The shop has it now, and they say it is probably the intake gasket. FYI, the leak was almost center and just under the alt.
    I hope this helps others. Like I said, mine started as a mysterious slow lose of coolant for months.

well on the 1st gen. vortecs, the intake manifold gasket was a poor design and leaked on alot of those trucks, I thought they had fixed it in the newer ones but I guess maybe not. the reason you dont usually see any coolant on the ground is because it evaporates off the exaust or the engine, but usually you can smell it, if its not bad yet, like one of you was saying a quart every 2 months? then you probably wont smell it yet but wait until it gets worse. if you climb back in the engine bay and smell back towards the very back of the engine, you may be able to smell it because that is where the leak orginates from.
    '99 K2500 Suburban Vortec 7400
    '00 k2500 Silverado Vortec 6000 ex. cab

'84 K5 Blazer 4x4 lifted (defunct)
    '86 Dodge w250 4x4 lifted (also defunct)

bkovacs it happens in my generation non-vortec small block as well. they are prone to blowin head gaskets. i blew mine about 20000 miles ago and this one is on its way already i can smell the coolant. i heard that the dex-cool has something to do with it. my buddy said that the dex-cool eats away at the gaskets slowly and eventually they go out
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Quote Originally Posted by Pete95Sierra View Post
    bkovacs it happens in my generation non-vortec small block as well. they are prone to blowin head gaskets. i blew mine about 20000 miles ago and this one is on its way already i can smell the coolant. i heard that the dex-cool has something to do with it. my buddy said that the dex-cool eats away at the gaskets slowly and eventually they go out
    Now that I am getting my intake gasket replaced, do you think I should keep using dex-cool, or try something else?

you have to use dex-cool i believe cuz its formulated for GM
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Default duramax mystery leak

have you thought about water pump? it isn't common in duramax but it does happen. sometimes it only leaks while driving so we don't notice it. just a thought.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast