GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It has been a while since I posted but if I remember right, the noise is the abs system coming on.

I think it is probably the front yoke slip shaft. It is supposed to slide in and out of the trans tail shaft housing as the drive line flexes. There may be a little rust on the splines, so it will hang a little bit and it will clunk a bit the first time it moves while it is cold. The older GM trucks had a wide reputation for doing this. I have no reason to suspect the new ones won't do it too.

My '99 burb does it almost every time I start off, even after it warms up. If it is bothersome, you can go to the trouble of pulling it out and brushing a tiny amount of grease into the splines, maybe with a pipe cleaner. It may go several months until it does it again.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    I think it is probably the front yoke slip shaft. It is supposed to slide in and out of the trans tail shaft housing as the drive line flexes. There may be a little rust on the splines, so it will hang a little bit and it will clunk a bit the first time it moves while it is cold. The older GM trucks had a wide reputation for doing this. I have no reason to suspect the new ones won't do it too.

My '99 burb does it almost every time I start off, even after it warms up. If it is bothersome, you can go to the trouble of pulling it out and brushing a tiny amount of grease into the splines, maybe with a pipe cleaner. It may go several months until it does it again.
    I had this yoke problem on my 2000 sil 4X4 . I found that changing the transfer case fluid fixed it . dealership did this when under warranty. so now I just replace this fluid every 40,000 miles and no clunk on first starting especially in cold weather .

some have had to replace this bushing because of poor quality control .

I dont have that noise on my 2011 4x4, but it seems I may have a new item for my worry list, lol.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

I can tell when my truck sits about a week and a half or more the front rotors rust up some and the brakes are real grabby until the rust is worn off..Ive heard the front caliper slightly clunk from this. But it generally goes away after a few miles of normal braking.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    I can tell when my truck sits about a week and a half or more the front rotors rust up some and the brakes are real grabby until the rust is worn off..Ive heard the front caliper slightly clunk from this. But it generally goes away after a few miles of normal braking.
    Yes on this one. More likely than a rusty yoke shaft. Virtually all disk brake vehicles do this in humid/cold weather, so much so that it never occurs to me to think of it at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12