GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Share you lost keys Story!

Today my 18 month old grabbed my keys. He likes to hit the panic button and hear the truck honk in the garage. I quickly took them away and put them out of his reach. Well, after 4 1/2 hours of searching I still can not locate them. Luckily I had a copy made as the truck only came with one key when I bought it. I am having remote start installed on Tuesday so I am not concerned about the key fob.(plus, I have eight of them laying around anyway). There are not any important keys on the ring other than house keys and we have copies of those. I know they are somewhere in the house. Guess I will be having another copy made in the morning. I will share where I find them (if I ever do). I will ask him in the morning, he probably climbed up where I put them and stuck them somewhere else. I figured that you guys probably have some pretty funny stories about misplacing your keys. Whether it be at home like me or out in the middle of no where. Please share your story. One time I lost the key to my sonoma. I could not find it for months. Spring rolled around and I took the dog for a walk. I found the key laying on the ground where I had piled the snow from the driveway all winter. It was there for more than 3 months and did not have any rust on it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I haven't totally lost mine, but do have a story from a few months back.

Arrived at a friends house with the wife. Getting out of the truck with the door locks engaged I dropped my keys as I was getting out and locked them in. No worries I thought. I turn to my wife and ask if she has my spare. She replies, "Yes, It's with my keys in your truck"

I ended up cutting a 2x4 into a wedge shape and gently prying the top corner of the driver's door open enough to jam a clothes hanger through. We were able to push the slide lock forward with the hanger unlocking the door. I have never been so happy to hear my alarm going off as I was that night.

Also as a side note, I was in a fairly small town at the time. There were about 6 of us crowded around the vehicle trying to break in. I have always been told that you can call the police and they will help you get into your car. A police officer drives by, you think he would stop or even slow down from the sight of us breaking in (we are all in our 20's and look more like teenagers)? Nope, not this time.
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Haha, I lock mine in the truck all the time; I'll have my arms full of small things (tools and hardware) and I'll toss the load into the back seat along with the keys. I keep a spare in my pocket, to open the door, of course, this trips the alarm and I need the FOB to stop it.

Pikey, your thread couldn't have been started at a better time; I have a small safe with a electric combination lock. The safe also has a mechanical lock to lock out the electric combo lock; this lock is push to lock and needs a key to unlock. Yesterday, I accidentialy pushed the mechanical lock and of course, I can not find the key. Like Pikey said, it's in the house somewhere, but.............where.

But I have a very funny car keys story to pass along, it happen to a buddy of mine. Happen on a warm winter afternoon, ice in his driveway had warmed and gotten slippery. He got out of his truck (S10) with keys in his hand, locking the doors and stepped onto the slippery ice. As he stepped onto the ice, he pushed the door, to close it, and lost his balance on the ice. His right hand holding onto the side of the truck, somehow the fingers were in the door opening as the locked door slammed shut. The pain of the hand being in the door jam caused him to drop the keys which were in the left hand. Right hand is jammed too far up the frame to reach the keys.
    As he is trying to move the keys with his foot to get them closer, he slips on the ice. The hand came out of the door when he fell far enough, fingers were flat for a month. I laugh every time I think of it, haha
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Lol, that would have been great to get on video! Well, it is official. I have emptied and cleaned every drawer and cupboard in the kitchen. Toy boxes emptied and checked. Checked dishwasher, garbage, garbage disposal, Still no keys. At this point I have no idea where they may be. I guess that I will just have to wait and see if they show up.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-10-2012 at 11:29 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

My wife lost her car keys in July of 2011, somewhere in the house. I gave her the spare set to use until she found hers, their somewhere in the house so this shouldnt take long to happen.
    Last week as she was shaking out her winter coat she found the keys in the pocket. I'm still trying to figure out how it got there in July of last year, this is Texas we dont use jackets in July, and how she missed them all last winter.