GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic

Default Engine code troubles

Hey everybody it has been a while since I've been around. Junior year at PSU, AFROTC, and Dick's Sporting Goods has been keeping me very busy. I was driving the 'rado this morning and ran into the following codes all at once...

P0135 02 Heater Circuit 1 Bank 1
    P0141 02 Heater Circuit 1 Bank 2
    P0161 02 Heater Circuit 2 bank 2
    P0420 Catalyst System Efficency below threshold
    P0172 System too rich
    P0175 System too rich

I know the P0172 and P0175 are in result of my dyno tune where the tuner riched up the system to get some more power to tow and haul (ass) with. My truck is due for inspection and emissions this month I was wondering if the first 3 codes can be easily fixed (or just cleared without worry) cheaply or am I looking at something more serious?
    Last edited by KyleZ71; 12-10-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

check out obd-codes.com you can research what all the codes mean. if i remember correctly, those codes have to do with the O2 sensors and/or wire harness for the sensors. Hope this helps man.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

Master Mechanic

I've been looking them up, but I didn't know if someone already knew the answer. I know the first three are related to the O2 sensor, but I highly doubt three went bad all at once if you know what I mean.

The top 2 couldve have went together seens how the are basically "together". Best bet is to replace the O2 sensors and see if that fixes the problem. Also make sure the wires to the sensors are still in tack and havent either broke or the protected coat hasnt melted and that you have metal on metal. Thats all i can really think of, maybe someone else will have more expierence with this then me tho.

Master Mechanic

Thanks Kyle, Ill crawl underneath when its not raining and give it a look.

Your welcome brotha. goodluck, hope ya get it fixed quickly and that its nothing serious.

Master Mechanic

After giving it some thought, I was wondering if I changed my tune from the custom tune to the canned diablo tune, would the problem go away? It seems like the codes are all linked together by the truck running a little rich

That very well might work, also see if that company can tune it for running rich so that the sensors dont think thats something else wrong. especially with the headers and exhaust setup you have. give it a shot and let us kno.