GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hole in bottom of transmission???

Looking for an answer on this… please watch 1 min video. The truck is a 96 k1500.

Thanks!

That is a inspection plate. You can pull the entire plate down and you will expose the flywheel and torque converter. The "Gear" that you are seeing is the ring gear on the flywheel. What you are seeing is normal and does bot need a plug.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks for the info. I still find it hard to believe that there is an engineered hole in the bottom. I am in upstate NY where there is salt/snow/grime 6 months out of the year. Seems strange that that stuff can just get in there like that.

As far back as I can remember that hole has been there. I remember pulling the trans in my dad's 1985 buick station wagon when I was 14 years old. That hole was there. I live in Michigan and we have similar weather conditions. From the multiple GM transmissions I pulled, I can't say that there was an abundance of crap in there. Mostly traces of oil or trans fluid from a leak above.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    As far back as I can remember that hole has been there. I remember pulling the trans in my dad's 1985 buick station wagon when I was 14 years old. That hole was there. I live in Michigan and we have similar weather conditions. From the multiple GM transmissions I pulled, I can't say that there was an abundance of crap in there. Mostly traces of oil or trans fluid from a leak above.
    Thanks again for the info. I first noticed the hole because I raised up the back end of the truck on ramps to better get at the rear differential and when I did, I nticed old engine oil dripping down from the hole. That's how I noticed the hole. As long as its ok, I'm fine with it.

Its a Drain Hole. Its sole purpose is to prevent the accumulation of any kind of liquid ie water,oil,transmission fluid.Its normal
    Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.

If oil is dripping out of there your rear main seal could be bad. Keep an eye on how much is dripping out of there because it will only get worse. But you may go a long time before it leaks real bad.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

If I were you I would keep an eye on oil level. if to drops a lot your rear main may be failing. Its a job that is in the end all cheaper if you buy the parts and then bring the truck to a good shop. (this is from experience) Is the area between the engine and tranny filthy with oil and sludge?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door