GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: removing rust

Default removing rust

hey guys,
    is there a better alternative to removing the rust off the front end of my truck (i.e. frame ), other than naval jelly and a tiny wire brush? just kinda hoping for a faster or easier alternative
    thanks
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Yeah. Sand blast it. How much rust are we talking about? If it is just surface rust, I wouldn't worry about it.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I used a 3M Paint stripper to get rid of my rust, but it was on the surface above the wheel wells so I'm not sure about underneath and on the frame.
    The 3M Paint and rust stripper worked Phenominally for my use.
    Here's my thread I made on my body work.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...453#post518453

You Tube has tons of video's on what to get Por 15 is good read about it.

Eastwoods has allot of great products for removing and encapsulating rust. I've used their fast etch, rust encapsulation spray and heavy duty rust proofing products.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Yeah. Sand blast it. How much rust are we talking about? If it is just surface rust, I wouldn't worry about it.
    sand blasting is more money than i could afford. :/
    basically the front frame horns, front body mounts, as far back as the crossmember, the sway bar, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PondWarrior View Post
    I used a 3M Paint stripper to get rid of my rust, but it was on the surface above the wheel wells so I'm not sure about underneath and on the frame.
    The 3M Paint and rust stripper worked Phenominally for my use.
    Here's my thread I made on my body work.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...453#post518453
    you say its a tool that attaches to your drill? would you know the name? sounds interesting

well I ended up purchasing a $60.00 craftsman sandblasting kit from sears and this little thing worked like a dream! i actually found out that it took more time to remove some of the spots with the rubberized undercoating still in tact on there than it did to actually take off the rust. heres a few pics.

the frame horns were naval jellied then painted a couple weeks ago, all the paint i used was "rustoleum flat black protective enamel"
    though i didnt sandblast the frame horns because i plan on removing them for my bumper project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	47511

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	47512

this was a fun project on christmas day definitely worth it, although i wish i had more time off of work, so i could spend more time in san antonio doing this, since i do not have a compressor nor space to do this in an apartment complex parking lot lol

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    well I ended up purchasing a $60.00 craftsman sandblasting kit from sears and this little thing worked like a dream! i actually found out that it took more time to remove some of the spots with the rubberized undercoating still in tact on there than it did to actually take off the rust. heres a few pics.

the frame horns were naval jellied then painted a couple weeks ago, all the paint i used was "rustoleum flat black protective enamel"
    though i didnt sandblast the frame horns because i plan on removing them for my bumper project.

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	47511

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	47512

this was a fun project on christmas day definitely worth it, although i wish i had more time off of work, so i could spend more time in san antonio doing this, since i do not have a compressor nor space to do this in an apartment complex parking lot lol
    with what you are doig there i would recommmened looking at eastwoods rust incapsulator spray. it looks like theres only surfice rust there not big chunks so id just spray it right over the rust. the spray turns the rust into blackoxide which is just a fancy word for controled rust. i then went over it with eastwoods chassie black that has cermamic mixed in with the paint and its real tough stuff, you just need to let it cure out for a day before showing it to the elements. i have the same issue with my truck just surfice rust and it is working like a dream. i did my rear bumper brackets last year and i live in michigan and the salt has not done anything to it.

i have indeed looked at their products and do like them, but im just a perfectionist like that, id rather remove it than cover it up. plus sandblasting it all is fun

Master Mechanic

Eastwood's products work great and can even be used to treat bare metal. They sell everything you need for your entire chasis. Just recommending them as I used their products and they have great costomer service (which is getting harder to find).
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by