GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help, please rough idle

Just put in the new spark plugs and wires as well as cold air intake. Was idling roughly before and immediately after the install all seemed well. This morning it was about 10 degrees out and I fired it up. Very rough idle, loud ping noise, I guess that's what misfiring sounds like? Revs were up and down, once I'm moving down the road it's fine. Come to a stop light and the revs dip again feeling like its going to stall. Sound like an idle air valve problem? Just bought the damn thing and the check engine light was on for the catalytic converters. So I'm not sure if the CEL is on now for something else.

My guess is that its running lean... Hence the codes on the cats. Probably the MAS.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

The best approach is to pull the codes and come back here with each code (if there is more than one)
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

If you have the codes, check out obd-codes.com and ask here, someone will be able to help you.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

Yes get the codes... This will verify. I am guessing lean as it would be rare for the two to be tripping otherwise. I have a feeling it will be lean on bank 1 and bank 2. This is what my sons truck did when is MAF failed.

Banks 1 and 2 both running lean. Just had it read at AdvanceAutoparts.

Just put on the new intake, could it be the computer needing to be reset? Only happens in the morning, after driving it for 10 mins and getting it up to operating temp it runs just fine...

- - - Updated - - -

Just refitted the air intake, unplugged the battery to reset the computer, and replaced the PCV. Guess we'll find out tomorrow morning if that helped anything. Keep you guys posted

The PCM controls the air/gas mixture when the engine is cold, as it warms, the control is switched to the O2 sensors. The O2 sensors are changing the fuel mix so the engine will run smooth. A fuel delivery program, in the ECM, provides the injector info while the engine is cold, sounds like it is an air problem.

Take a 2nd look at TinTom64b 's suggestion.

Update:

fired it up this morning after refitting the intake, replaced the PCV, and unplugged the battery. Much smoother but still not where it should be. So maybe the MAF has gone bad? Is there a way to test that before purchasing?

to be able to get the code for the MAF not working I would have to run the scan when the engine is cold, correct?
    Last edited by kinson33; 12-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.

This just a problem at idle, or does it run like crap all the time? Pull the codes before buying anything. It sounds like an Idle Air Control valve to me.Try to clean it. You might also take a look at your throttle plates. They get really cruddy after a while and can cause bad and erratic idling too.

Kinson, you want to scan the vehicle after it goes into closed loop mode. If it has set a code, you can read it when the engine is cold, but it is best to let it warm up so you can look at the data while it is running.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    This just a problem at idle, or does it run like crap all the time? Pull the codes before buying anything. It sounds like an Idle Air Control valve to me.Try to clean it. You might also take a look at your throttle plates. They get really cruddy after a while and can cause bad and erratic idling too.

Kinson, you want to scan the vehicle after it goes into closed loop mode. If it has set a code, you can read it when the engine is cold, but it is best to let it warm up so you can look at the data while it is running.
    Runs great after it warms up which leads me to believe its the MAF as suggested since it switches to the o2 sensors after getting to operating temp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast