GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Torsion keys

Legend

Default Torsion keys

I have found a set of torsion keys(2-3 inch lift) for my 99 burban and am curious about them. is this safe, reliable, and cost effective considering that it could put extra strain on factory parts? It says no other components not even new shocks are required. Any help would be great, thanks!

Smile

torsion keys are not necessarily bad for your burban..... i wouldnt crank them more than two inches tho cuz then your front end will wear out quicker and the ride will be harsher..... with them cranked about two inches your ride may be a little harsher and will ride more truck like than a suburban but nothing terrible... you wont need shocks or anything either.... it will make the truck look a lot better

I would recommend getting a longer shock reasoning you will extend your shock to max and not good. I had an 02 chevy avalanche and when i got it the keys was changed but shocks wasnt end result I had to replace the shocks. So on my 05 chevy avalanche when i changed the keys I installed bilstein 5100 shocks and they improved the ride greatly.I also recommend getting a front end alignment too .

you definitely NEED a front end alignment after adjusting the torsion bars.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Blog Entries

Go to this site and read up on Torsion bar keys.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Legend

Thanks for all the info, was very helpful! Next how big can i go I also found a leveling kit at tough country and they recommend 285/75, I already run those stock and i belive that measures out to 31" tires so will 33' fit in there and what is the easist way to recalibrate the sensor for the odomter and speedo
    Last edited by vncj96; 02-05-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm glad You found some answers to some of your questions. I'm not sure about running the 33's but since you already run 31's without the leveling kit then most surely you won't have a problem. I know on that website I sent you the link for, they have a Silverado that has 33's with only the leveling kit.

As far as speedo and such, you could look into getting a custom tune that would not only help you with those adjustments but increase performance as well. The other option would be to buy yourself a programmer from Hypertech or another manufacturer and then you can calibrate for tire size and shift points yourself as well as increase performance.