GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kinson33 View Post
    cant mess up the firing order, they're straight down... Msd wires and auto lite iridiums.
    Ok. I think we need some vehicle info (I did a quick scan of posts and don't see info), the only wires I'm aware of that go straight down would be the I6 in the Trailblazer set of trucks (or, the I5); but, the I6 doesn't have wires, so I'm stuck.

Also, if it were a plug or wire issue it would be running like crap even after it warmed up?
    Yeah, that is the normal. Misfires can be caused by a lot of things, compression leaks, vacuum leaks, both of these could leak when cold and self-seal when the block heats and expands but as moogvo said, the misfire should be addressed first.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    Allot of things can cause the misfire... Assume your rotor and cap have been replaced? A beginning to fail ignition control module... Pretty much functions as a condensed in the newer ignition systems can cause a misfire too. A MAF life is rated at around 50k miles... After that they start to degrade. MAF sensor when it really fails the will run like crap no matter the temp... And RPM. With my boys truck we replace all the o2 sensors, temp sensor, cap rotor, wires and plugs... I was at wits end... And then changed the MAF sensor as a last resort before taking it to a shop... Walla... All was good.
    Mystery solved. Running lean causing the misfire because of a bad manifold gasket and MAF sensor. Thanks to everyone for their input. Should have a few miles ahead now of worry free motoring!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Ok. I think we need some vehicle info (I did a quick scan of posts and don't see info), the only wires I'm aware of that go straight down would be the I6 in the Trailblazer set of trucks (or, the I5); but, the I6 doesn't have wires, so I'm stuck.

I'll be happy to post pictures tomorrow morning. The coil is straight above the plug... cant mess up the order.

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	46942
    Isn't this most 5.3 setups? Maybe I didn't describe it well before, but the wires go straight down so the wires would be crossed if you were to snap them into the wrong plugs
    Last edited by kinson33; 12-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Yep, That looks just like my 5.3L (all three that I have owned), except you have the Delco style alternator and I have the Bosch style.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Isn't this most 5.3 setups? Maybe I didn't describe it well before, but the wires go straight down so the wires would be crossed if you were to snap them into the wrong plugs
    Sorry kinson, I mis-understood. Your pic is the same as my engine, I was thinking you were talking about a coil on plug and I was picturing the shared coils where one coil is for a pair of cylinders. My bad.

Hey, good job tracking down the leak.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123