GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New 6.0 2500 with a question.

Kind of a tech question, but kind of a new to the truck question. I just bought a new 2012 2500 LT with 6.0L gas motor. I have one issue with the truck so far. When I turn the steering wheel while the truck is moving I hear a hissing noise. Ive never heard this on any vehicle while it is in motion. Usually I would hear this while at a stand still and turning the wheel too far to one side. Its noticible at speed with the radio on and drives me nuts mostly because its a new vehicle. This is my first HD truck so my question is, is this normal on the newer HD trucks? It doesnt do it while sitting at park is what is throwing me off. The truck has like 500 miles on it now, and I feel like there couldnt be something wrong with the pump already could there? Before I take it in to the dealership I thought id pick the brains of some Chevy vets.
    Thanks,
    Mike in Va

Welcome aboard. I would get a dealer tech to ride with you to hear this. My 2011 2500 6.0 has 45K and never heard that noise before

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

Quote Originally Posted by mdblb05 View Post
    feel like there couldnt be something wrong with the pump already could there?
    I have seen stranger things happen with new vehicles. I believe that your truck is equipped with a hydro brake booster. It could be an issue with that also. A sticking valve inside the hydroboost or the gear box could cause the noise that you are experiencing. Time for a trip to the dealer

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Former Member

Mine makes noise...9,000 miles on the clock. Its not bad, but you can hear it with the windows down...

It wouldn't be a pump issue, it would be the pressure relief spring if anything...