GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default I CAN NOT Believe What I just Read!!! (Burning Oil)

I was on another GM Chevy truck forum and read about 24 pages of the newer trucks burning oil after as little as 12k miles!! I put almost 300,000 on my old 94 Z-71 with a 350/ 5.7 that didn't burn oil. Mine now has a whopping 23,800 miles on her with the little 4.8 and so far so good. I've owned Chevys and GM cars since the 60s and never had this trouble......I would hate after all these years to have to trade her in for a FORD!!! lol. Is anyone here experiencing this? It has really got me paranoid now!

Do a quick search on the forum. There are multiple posts about this issue. Many people are experiencing this. GM has multiple "fixes" for it. Including, new valve covers and a piston and ring replacement.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks Pikey, I will. I bought my 08 in October so my 5 years warranty will be up next year- just my luck! I see you had a 95- I might just start looking for a old 5.7 Vortec on the old body style with low miles. I will miss my 4 dr crew but will have to find an extended cab. I can say my old truck was a lot tighter than this newer one. I heard this from others before I bought mine and think they're right. I don't like the sound of even thinking about pistons and rings with such low mileage!

It all depends on the specific motor. My 2002 5.3L burned no oil when I sold it at 140,000 miles and still does not with 165,000 on it. (the kid that bought it stops by to show me his mods). My 2003 5.3L with 140,000 lost about a quart every 2,000 miles. My 2005 5.3L with 140,000 miles does not burn oil.(yet)

Legend

I know a company that buys tahoes for its sales employees. all vehicles purchased have the V6. too many V8 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    It all depends on the specific motor. My 2002 5.3L burned no oil when I sold it at 140,000 miles and still does not with 165,000 on it. (the kid that bought it stops by to show me his mods). My 2003 5.3L with 140,000 lost about a quart every 2,000 miles. My 2005 5.3L with 140,000 miles does not burn oil.(yet)
    That is great to know and from what I've read you are one of the lucky ones. It is for the 4.8- 6.2. I believe it has to do with the AFM, whatever year they started? Here's what I read:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...owtopic=127812

Sr. Apprentice

The oil consumption issue is primarily an issue with the 07' and up 5.3L engines with AFM. The 4.8 and L9H 6.2L engines don't have AFM.
    2012 silver ice metallic Silverado CC 4X4 /6.2L / 373/9.5" rear max trailering package/ 18" Z71 rims with 285/65/18 BFG TA/KO Ebony leather interior / 2011 grill insert with black mesh/rear fender liners and bed rail protectors/ Z71 skid plates/GM bed mat/2" billet aluminum under strut front leveling kit

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69 View Post
    Thanks Pikey, I will. I bought my 08 in October so my 5 years warranty will be up next year- just my luck! I see you had a 95- I might just start looking for a old 5.7 Vortec on the old body style with low miles. I will miss my 4 dr crew but will have to find an extended cab. I can say my old truck was a lot tighter than this newer one. I heard this from others before I bought mine and think they're right. I don't like the sound of even thinking about pistons and rings with such low mileage!
    I LOVE my '95! Best looking truck ever to come out of the Chevrolet (or any other) assembly plant!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Yeah I still love the old body style too. I had 94 Z Ext cab step side that was Indigo blue. I do like my new body style but it sure is a lot wider than my old Z and harder to get into tight places! Lol

Good looking truck ya got there!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by O'Brien View Post
    The oil consumption issue is primarily an issue with the 07' and up 5.3L engines with AFM. The 4.8 and L9H 6.2L engines don't have AFM.
    Thanks O'Brian, that is a big relief. I did noticed they all seemed to be the newer 5.3. WHEW!!

Also @chevyguy69 the way you have prolly drove your pickups is probably pretty good, and all those other people that say they start to burn oil they have probably drove the pickup really hard. Thats how i see the thing with vehicles, if you drive them nice they dont break, if you drive them like they are a pile of junk than they i would think that they would end up breaking. But thats just my opinion.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by