GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

The 5.3L using oil is a very minor problem. My 2008 used about 1/2 qt every 5K miles. ALL engines use a little bit of oil between changes.

GM has probably sold over 2 million trucks with 5.3L engines with AFM since 2007. If it was as huge a problem as people make it out to be, GM would have discontinued the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    I know a company that buys tahoes for its sales employees. all vehicles purchased have the V6. too many V8 issues.
    I've never seen a Tahoe with a V6, as a matter of fact, I don't think Chevrolet has ever put a V6 in a Tahoe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by O'Brien View Post
    The oil consumption issue is primarily an issue with the 07' and up 5.3L engines with AFM. The 4.8 and L9H 6.2L engines don't have AFM.
    The 6.2L (L94) has AFM as well. The L9H 6.2L appears to NOT have AFM. The L94 engine is used in the Escalade. I cannot verify that the 6.2L in the Silverado has AFM or not.

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    The 6.2L (L94) has AFM as well. The L9H 6.2L appears to NOT have AFM. The L94 engine is used in the Escalade. I cannot verify that the 6.2L in the Silverado has AFM or not.

My 2012 Silverado CC 4X4 6.2L with 373 gearing comes equipped with the L9H non afm engine.As do the 4X4 6.2L Silverados with 3.42 gearing.
    2012 silver ice metallic Silverado CC 4X4 /6.2L / 373/9.5" rear max trailering package/ 18" Z71 rims with 285/65/18 BFG TA/KO Ebony leather interior / 2011 grill insert with black mesh/rear fender liners and bed rail protectors/ Z71 skid plates/GM bed mat/2" billet aluminum under strut front leveling kit

My 2012 Silverado CC 4X4 6.2L with 373 gearing comes equipped with the L9H non afm engine.As do the 4X4 6.2L Silverados with 3.42 gearing.
    Did you get the Max Trailering Pack in your Silverado? IIRC that's the only way to get 3.73 gears.

Sr. Apprentice

Did you get the Max Trailering Pack in your Silverado? IIRC that's the only way to get 3.73 gears.
    Yup. Mine is the Max Trailer Pack. However as far as I understand all of the 6.2L equipped silverados be it 2 WD or 4 WD have the non afm 6.2L. It is only available in Ext Cab or CC versions.

Yup. Mine is the Max Trailer Pack. However as far as I understand all of the 6.2L equipped silverados be it 2 WD or 4 WD have the non afm 6.2L. It is only available in Ext Cab or CC versions.
    So the 6.2L AFM engines are in the Escalades and Yukon Denalis it appears.

Sr. Apprentice

So the 6.2L AFM engines are in the Escalades and Yukon Denalis it appears.
    That's affirmative. At least everyone I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    Also @chevyguy69 the way you have prolly drove your pickups is probably pretty good, and all those other people that say they start to burn oil they have probably drove the pickup really hard. Thats how i see the thing with vehicles, if you drive them nice they dont break, if you drive them like they are a pile of junk than they i would think that they would end up breaking. But thats just my opinion.
    That is very true of how ppl take care of them. I baby mine and the maintence is like clock work. Now back in the day I was hard on them and only knew 2 speeds- wide open and stop! lol.

Do you have to run premium gas in that 6.2L engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy69
    That is very true of how ppl take care of them. I baby mine and the maintence is like clock work. Now back in the day I was hard on them and only knew 2 speeds- wide open and stop! lol.
    When was back in the day, the 80s? ya i baby mine too.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Sr. Apprentice

Do you have to run premium gas in that 6.2L engine?
    Yes. The L9H 6.2L calls for 91 octane or higher.