GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Clunking Noise =(

Hey there. Maybe I'm just not used to all the clunking and rattling of a truck but I'm sure this one should not be happening. In my 2000 silverado I hear a loud very audible clunking noise (passengers notice it as well) which sounds like it's coming from the rear of the truck whenever I accelerate hard from a dead stop. It sounds like something in the drivetrain is slipping and then catches suddenly. I posses nominal mechanical knowledge but I'm thinking maybe the u-joints need to be replaced? Anyone else every experience anything similar or willing to shed some light on the situation? Thanks a bunch!

Is it a "single" clunk just on taking off? If so it may well be slack in the drive line. There have been "clunks" coming from the shaft coming from the splines in the transmissioin. Also, might look at all suspension bolts. At least a place to start looking. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Legend

Most likely u-joints or rear end, crawl underneath and try and twist the driveshaft, I bet you have alot of play in it
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Yea it's a single clunk. What would cause play in the driveshaft?

Legend

The u joints are shot or if your rear end has some problems it will start to allow slack, the rear end thing can be a bunch of different things, but if there is too much play while its in park then its one of the two. So just try and turn it and see how much you get
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

Default clunking noise

Do you have a posi rear?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixdit View Post
    Do you have a posi rear?

Not sure. It's the z71 so I would think so.

I'll check it tonight after school and report back.

i have the exact same thing in my truck. one single clunk and its over till i stop again and then take off... just on the take off, not on the stop. i have replaced the rear end with a used one, and the u joints, so im sure its neither of those. i had the same thing with the old rear end and u joints, so i dont know. wasnt sure how to explain it, so i didnt post about it, but you did a good enough job for the both of us. i dont know what it could be.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

I've done all kinds of research on this subject myself. I have a '01 Silverado Z71 with the same thing going on. From the other forums I've read it's the piece that slips into the transmission and connects the trans with the driveshaft. My driveshaft has no play in it but I get the clunk also. Supposedly it's that piece (the tube shaped one with the spline on the inside) that needs to be replaced. From what I've read GM offers a replacement one that is of better quality. The guys on the other forums seem to get the same message from the dealer... they tell them that it's a normal noise. Not sure I believe that but I'm just going to let mine be for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmk View Post
    I've done all kinds of research on this subject myself. I have a '01 Silverado Z71 with the same thing going on. From the other forums I've read it's the piece that slips into the transmission and connects the trans with the driveshaft. My driveshaft has no play in it but I get the clunk also. Supposedly it's that piece (the tube shaped one with the spline on the inside) that needs to be replaced. From what I've read GM offers a replacement one that is of better quality. The guys on the other forums seem to get the same message from the dealer... they tell them that it's a normal noise. Not sure I believe that but I'm just going to let mine be for now.

i seem to have a normal driving and performing vehicle, so except for the noise, i think every thing i ok and wont take it any where as well
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast