GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default engine swap, engine upgrade

I have a 99 yukon 4x4 with the 5.7 and has 140k miles. I am debating replacing the engine with stock, but would love to have an engine with more power. However, I know nothing about all this computer crap that runs these engines!!
    If i was to replace with a performance engine, what would need to be done?

Thanks.

the 99 is pretty ****.
    its a vortec V8.
    my 93 has the same V8 they were making in the 70s.... if i wanted to upgrade my engine swap to a vortec or even an all aluminum 2000s modle it would alsmot require a complete restoration...
    Block, heads, intake, motor mounts, new fuel plumming and delivery syatem, new computer, engine wiring harness, o2 sensors, exhaust, and theeeeeeeeeeen
    I would need to completly redo the brakes because the wheel speed sensors tie into the speedometer and computer itself.
    so all new brakes, and guages, including speedo cable.
    and thats only if i got a vortec engine (the block is the same, but it has better heads and intake)

If i wanted a new aluminum truck engine from the 2000s... everthing from above, plus: all new auxillary like power steering and AC and coolant sytem.
    then theres the cost of tunning one of theses computers, and petitioning the DMV to pass smog because the engine is different than what the manufacturer installed.

sooooooo.... maybe get a vortec V8 crate, and spend some time porting and polishing the heads/intake. taking resistance off the crank, and installing some big rockers, and nice headers.... theyre alredy a 290 HP engine. but with those little upgrades youll be looking at closer to 325.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Actually, it's not quite that complex. If you pick up a used engine, grab the PCM that is with it, if you go with a create engine, order it with a PCM.
    Now, it is not that easy, you may still need a new fuel pump, motor mounts, etc; but it's not a complete truck rebuild.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I agree with @RayVoy , If you order a crate motor from a place like GM performance, you can order it with a complete wiring harness and PCM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)